No announcement yet.

Wheelie Recovery Technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post

I was thinking "estimated time", but ET prob means elapsed time.
      ET does indeed mean elapsed time. My '73 Z1 owner's manual called it "SS 1/4 mile" (SS='standing start). It also claimed 12.0 sec, which was only off by as much as 3/4 of a second. Four years later, when it was increased from 903 to 1014cc and called the KZ1000, and became the quickest production motorcycle Cycle World had ever tested, it still 'only' did 12.2 sec.

And I'm old school. If your "drag strip" is only 1/8 mile long, well, that's not a drag strip. That's my opinion, and it should be yours.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I've not had any more surprises since that one. Been sort of thinking about the clutch-up technique and how that would work, but have not done it : )

I had to get out of the house the other night, and the night air was messing with my contacts. I pulled over on the side of the nearly empty turnpike to put in some eye drops (first of 3 or 4 times), and laid into it getting back on the road. I stayed with it a gear or two longer than a usual hard accel blend into traffic (run), and was surprised how the thing was still pulling hard up at a place I hadn't been. I mean 2nd gear will get you to and beyond a highway speed limit; I sometimes do third for a bit for good measure, then settle into the flow somewhere. Other than that, most of my maneuvering is in top gear and is well and good enough.

I'm bragging on my bike a bit, heh... It's the best one I've had, except maybe the GS450, only because that one was the first, and you can't replace those times. Still like the Suzukis though...

Comment

Working...
        X