No announcement yet.

Are V-Rods a pariah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend of mine rides a V-Rod. I emailed her, asked her if it was her first bike, whether she'd ridden other ones, and how she'd decided on the V-Rod.

She took HD's MSF course, by the way, to get her license. Somewhere around 2007, maybe 2006. Bought the V-Rod in early 2007.

Her response:
    My first bike was a hd sportster 883Low. Decided I wanted a bigger bike, liked the paint set on the vrod I have and the rest is history. I did not ride anything else. The vrod is nicely balanced and easy to handle and it loooooves the curves!!
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Originally posted by Ice View Post
      You really think this is ugly? Its a few years older (2005), but freaking beautiful, man.

Yep, no matter how you cut it, they're just plain ugly.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
        My Dad rode Harleys for years and had one of those brand new, he said it wasn't very good.
        Your dad was right. Beautiful looking, but it wasn't a good period for Harley. Several years ago, I went on the Crud Run with a friend's '78 MG Lemans. Really nice ride and okay for 200 miles. He was going to ride his brother's sweet restored XLCR, but it caught fire in the driveway. He took his Z1R instead.
        "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

I would own a V-Max if I could find a decent early one in good condition that was cheap...

I like the engine on the V-Rod, but not much else. I've never ridden one, and doubt I ever will - it's just not the style of bike I like.

I'm not against HD, but their various models, and certainly their pricing, are not for me. About the only HD I would buy is an old flat-head - I just like the looks of the old 45 CI motors.

Comment

I read about a V-rod that has controls in the normal place. I don't understand why people need to feel like they are in an easy chair when riding. I guess with open headers and the pirate uniform you dont have to worry about not being seen
            The new V-Max, now THERE is a bike that would not need to be hot rodded by anyone except unbalanced people 200 hp 1600+ cc? Its not the look that is attractive to me its the uber power, it is a bit fugly to me but still an attractive bike.
            BUT, I'd take a 1500cc GS inline 4 anyday instead

Comment

Surely this has been posted, needs repeated though!

PINKS if you missed it years ago.03 V Rod VRS 628 pounds(dry) 115 (crank) HP.1983 Suzuki GS1100E 521 pounds (dry) 111 (crank) HPThe suzuki ran about 11.4 in ...
              Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
              87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
              99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
              15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

I rode a V-Rod muscle at the test ride event last year. It was a very nice bike. Saying you could get XXX for half the price that would spank it in the quarter/twisties/light to light etc. is missing the whole point of the machine. It's a bike for those who want a real Harley but aren't averse to owning something a bit more modern; a hog without the 1%er baggage so to speak. I rode a 1200 Sportster deluxe after it, and it was also a very neat bike in it's own way. I'm sorely tempted to pick up a 1200 Roadster or 883R and 1200cc the motor.

The 750/500 Street will probably be derided also. I'm wanting to take one out this year to see how it goes. My test rides last year improved my impression of the brand immensely.

Comment

HD did a VRod in a sporting format a few years back. I really liked that bike. The only VRod I've ridden personally was one of the original all silver dealies. Nice in a straight line and sounded good with aftermarket pipes (not like the usual HD ear-rape), but sloppy around turns. Brakes were decent, though.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Harley Davidson Turning gasoline into obnoxious noise without the harmful effects of horse power since 1903
                    My stable
                    84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                    85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                    88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                    98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                    90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                    06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                    00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Porsche helped mitigate against that for the MoCo in the case of the VRod. HD couldn't manage it on their own.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                        Porsche helped mitigate against that for the MoCo in the case of the VRod. HD couldn't manage it on their own.
                        Actually, "The Harley-Davidson V-Rod is a direct descendant of Harley's VR-1000, ridden by the Superbike Race Team. The VR-1000 featured a liquid-cooled, dual overhead cam, fuel injected engine that had been developed in partnership with Porsche."

sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                          The new V-Max, now THERE is a bike that would not need to be hot rodded by anyone except unbalanced people 200 hp 1600+ cc? Its not the look that is attractive to me its the uber power, it is a bit fugly to me but still an attractive bike.
                          BUT, I'd take a 1500cc GS inline 4 anyday instead
                          I guess I am unbalanced because a V max is a pig it weighs a ton and with a really good rider it only went a 10.13 that is only .5 second faster than the original
                          My stable
                          06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
                            I guess I am unbalanced because a V max is a pig it weighs a ton and with a really good rider it only went a 10.13 that is only .5 second faster than the original
                            You can't really go by any of the numbers posted, stock vs stock, the new VMAX is at least a second faster in the quarter mile than the 1st generation, which doesn't sound like much, but LOOKS much more impressive on a drag strip! The new VMAX is heavy though, that's it's biggest problem. 200 HP but way over 700 lbs, my B-King is 175 horses but weighs 200 lbs less, HP to weight ratio is the key. The VROD was just Harleys failed attempt to make a bike that was somewhat fast on the street, but it couldn't even beat a 30 year old Japanese muscle bike! To make matters worse, they are outcasts in their own riding groups, the hardcore Harley guys hate them with a passion! FAIL!
                            Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                            87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                            99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                            15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
                              You can't really go by any of the numbers posted, stock vs stock, the new VMAX is at least a second faster in the quarter mile than the 1st generation, which doesn't sound like much, but LOOKS much more impressive on a drag strip! The new VMAX is heavy though, that's it's biggest problem. 200 HP but way over 700 lbs, my B-King is 175 horses but weighs 200 lbs less, HP to weight ratio is the key. The VROD was just Harleys failed attempt to make a bike that was somewhat fast on the street, but it couldn't even beat a 30 year old Japanese muscle bike! To make matters worse, they are outcasts in their own riding groups, the hardcore Harley guys hate them with a passion! FAIL!
                              The #'s I posted where from the original test with Dale riding so same guy riding both bikes 1st gen 10.68 2nd gen 10.13 same track just over 20 years later. He did both original testing for Yamaha. Now pee wee or Jay went a 10.33 on the 1 st gen but never tested the 2 gen and no one has ever beaten his time on a stock Vmax. Now Dale has modified a 2nd gen extensively and got it deep into the low 9's but at a high $$ cost and the Vmax already cost a bundle
                              My stable
                              06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                                Actually, "The Harley-Davidson V-Rod is a direct descendant of Harley's VR-1000, ridden by the Superbike Race Team. The VR-1000 featured a liquid-cooled, dual overhead cam, fuel injected engine that had been developed in partnership with Porsche."

http://www.allaboutbikes.com/motorcy...davidson-v-rod
                                I know. I followed its development. Again, it took Porsche to make a modern performance Harley.
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X