Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remove a piston from a caliper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
    Or, Make a block off place for the side to side fluid transfer port, install a bolt into the brake line port to close it off, then loosen the brake bleeder and put the grease gun fitting over the open bleeder and pump away.
    Another great method. Unfortunately, if memory serves me right, for once, the bleeder nipple is on the side opposite the side with the brake line port. And, as my luck would have it, the side that is stuck is the side with the brake line port. I'll have to wait until I return to work on Wed to try the compressed air approach. One way or the other I'm confident that I'll pop that piston out, thanks entirely to the responses to my post.
    Further proof that the members of this board are incredibly helpful (and appreciated).
    Willie
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Ballistic

I would be nervous about using Compressed Air.
      It would need a lot of PSI.
      Once it gets moving the piston can go Ballistic, just like a Potato Gun.
      Wrap some wire around it, so it doesn't go into the wall, or you.
      Still like the C-Clamp method better, so easy.

Comment

if you havent tried it already, push the piston back into the caliper before trying to blow it back out again. it may just break away the ring of rust and crud thats stopping it from moving now. plenty of wd40 or similar to help ease the situation
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
          I would be nervous about using Compressed Air.
          It would need a lot of PSI.
          Once it gets moving the piston can go Ballistic, just like a Potato Gun.
          Wrap some wire around it, so it doesn't go into the wall, or you.
          Still like the C-Clamp method better, so easy.
          compressed air is fine as long as you wrap the caliper in rags or hold it face down flat on a soft surface (pile of rags) and hold tight when blasting
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Although I like your idea re: pushing the piston back in to the caliper, cleaning the crud from the bore and pressurinzing it out, I was worried about losing the headway I'd made by getting it out as far as I did before the other piston popped out. At this point I doubt it would take any more effort/pressure to move it the entire length vs the remaining 1/2" so maybe I will try pushing it back in. As for Wizard's concern re: it going ballistic...I was definitely planning on wrapping a rag around the caliper to prevent the piston from becoming a projectile. I've done this before and found the rag also prevented contaminated brake fluid from being sprayed all over the place.
            Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Pack her full of grease and keep threading a bolt in the banjo bolt hole... It will come out.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                Pack her full of grease and keep threading a bolt in the banjo bolt hole... It will come out.
                I've no doubt that it would. PITA packing it with grease though. I'll give the other ideas involving pushing the piston back in and trying compressed air 1st. I'll let everyone know what the results are.
                Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

I usually soak them heavily in WD40 and than use a shop rag and vise-grip and slowly pivot back and forth while held in a bench vice.

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                    I've no doubt that it would. PITA packing it with grease though. I'll give the other ideas involving pushing the piston back in and trying compressed air 1st. I'll let everyone know what the results are.
                    Willie
                    Be careful with the compressed air method 'cos when it goes it'll take your head off!
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                      Be careful with the compressed air method 'cos when it goes it'll take your head off!
                      Absolutely will and I really appreciate the warning/advice. My plan was to wrap the caliper half tighly in a rag to prevent such an event. Thanks man.
                      BTW, love your signature. I'm a big fan of Buckaroo. I bet I've seen that movie a dozen times and enjoyed it just as much as the 1st time every time.
                      Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

I bet I've seen that movie a dozen times and enjoyed it just as much as the 1st time every time.
                        Willie
                        Ha, same here - never gets old. Lithgow cracks me up.
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Yeah. Impressive and diverse cast including the badass that played the bad guy in the 1st Highlander and Billy Vera, an excellent musician who I've been lucky enough to hear in concert and talk afterwards with. Outa curiosity, have you seen Galaxy Quest? Another classic that didn't get the recognition it deserved.
                          To all others: I realize I have gotten off the main subject. Check out these 2 flicks and, all things considered, you'll agree that its okay.
                          Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Outa curiosity, have you seen Galaxy Quest? Another classic that didn't get the recognition it deserved.
                            Yep, great fun and clever movie.
                            -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                            X