Help picking a dirt bike please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    Not if your DR 350 is secretly a 441. It is lighter than a DRZ 400, mine is more powerful too.
    I have ridden them both, much prefer the 350 for back country stuff, and with the six speed it's better on roads too.
    I knew about the water cooled being heavier, but not about being able to punch it out to 441. Now I'm going to have to do some reasearch be will be watching c-list for 350's. Dang it Tom!

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

It really is a nice engine at that size, the bigger higher compression one 450 I think, is a pain in the butt.

Talk to Jesse Keintz, Keintech engineering.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
        Ok I have narrowed it down to 4 bikes. The DR350s are out of my price range but I emailed them asking to give me their best price. So we will see.
        The DR400 looks to be taken care of and pretty close to my price range (and the one I'm leaning towards the most, newer and closer to price)

The WR400 is a good price (in my range) but wonder if it has been a little beat on.
        Thoughts?
        Thanks again

http://whistler.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/3542285130.html

I'm kind of late arriving at this party, did you ever find a bike?

If not, I do have one other question which is: Are you going to spend much time riding with riders more your age?

Reason being, as it stands now you only need to keep up with a CRF-70. And at that point a DRZ-250 would be worth considering too. It's a full size bike and they wear like iron.

Comment

Cannot believe no mentioned a Honda XR 250: air cooled, bulletproof, easy to work etc and all you ever need for trial riding
          1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
          Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by zig06 View Post
            I'm kind of late arriving at this party, did you ever find a bike?

If not, I do have one other question which is: Are you going to spend much time riding with riders more your age?

Reason being, as it stands now you only need to keep up with a CRF-70. And at that point a DRZ-250 would be worth considering too. It's a full size bike and they wear like iron.
            Yes I did
            1999 WR400F paid $1500 with helmet, extra exhaust, seat cover wheel bearings, etc. It WAAAYYY too much bike for me but like my mum used to say "you'll grow into it".
            No signature

Comment

Nice! Have the valve clearance checked regularly as well as normal oil changes and air filter cleanings and you should be a happy man for many years to come. And I'm not seeing a CRF-70, did you forget something (or someone)?

Comment

+1 on the DR350S I have one with some suspension mods and some lightening. I also have a DRZ400S I bought new and have only put 600 miles on. The 400 is a better street bike. The 350 is my favorite of my seven dual sports. A street legal race bike like like my ATK is a crappy dual sport for the putt putt off roading I do.
                Last edited by 850 Combat; 01-31-2013, 12:22 PM.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I just saw this one come up. Might have been a better choice?

No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                    I just saw this one come up. Might have been a better choice?

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifi...XR400_19006170
                    Wow, that is a very clean well cared for bike (at least it looks like it):

Keep in mind that when ever you buy used it's not how good it was when it was "new" but how good it is "today". So a well recieved good running bike back in the day could be a total roach today if it had fallen into the wrong hands. This XR400 looks like it was well cared for and is worth a viewing if you think it'll do what your asking to do.

At the same time, the DRZ-400 "E" model was designed to be a better XR400. And even though the DRZ was almost 10 pounds heavier, it did produce about 8hp more plus it has electric starting and better suspension. So I'm mostly of the opinon that an XR400 is only worth buying if you actually want a XR400, if you are only looking for a bike in that class then a DRZ-400E would be a better choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X