So whats the deal with the V-max?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
    If you were closer, I would have made a run on it!
    It's only a day's ride to Jedz' place.

A freakin' long 925-mile day, but only a day.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Too ugly. I'd rather have a Harley, or GS450A.

On a more serious note, they are really ugly. Pass.

I'm glad you said that so I wont have to.
      They're not bad in pics but when ya see em in person, well..

I have however seen some pretty nice custom V-max's but thats about it.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

The V-Max is awesome! But a face only a mother could love!
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Looks are subjective. There are plenty of guys that think old GS's are ugly too, it's all relative! Besides, I can't see myself riding it down the road, that's gotta count for something!
          Last edited by 83GS1100E_Tornado; 02-12-2013, 05:10 PM.
          Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
          87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
          99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
          15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

This is true. No matter what it looks like there is no denying that bad ass motor. Thing is a beast, and a Yamaha, so it's awesome!
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
              This is true. No matter what it looks like there is no denying that bad ass motor. Thing is a beast, and a Yamaha, so it's awesome!
              Only production "muscle bike" to be built from 1985 to current day. Somebody must be buying them!
              Current stable:

Comment

Sounds to me like you should probably just keep the 1150 and do some maintenance on it, I've seen pictures of it, that's a sweet bike! If you were closer, I would have made a run on it!
                Well The 1150 is a damn fine motorcycle. It looks awesome fires right up and needs nothing. The issue I have with it is its size and weight. I'm 5'11" and when I bought the bike 210lbs. I could throw my weight around on it and keep it under control however I've done some weight reduction to my self over the last few months and now weigh only 185lbs. I've found I don't really have the weight control of the bike as I did when I first bought it. It's tall for me too and I don't like the ergonomics of it. Hence why I'm looking to sell it. The Rex seems like it would work well for me, its light small and match me better then the big ES. The Vmax I looked at was bad a$$ and it was lower and easier for me to get on and off. Power is a plus and that is a big appeal to me for the Vmax. I looooved my Bandit because of its gobs of torque. I want a bike like that for power... Not a revy high end bike, kinda why I'm not to keen to a FZ1 or 6 for that matter...
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

A VMAX is every bit as heavy as an 1150E, if not more, probably 550 lbs or so..........they aren't exactly nimble beasts!
                  Current stable:

Comment

A VMAX is every bit as heavy as an 1150E, if not more, probably 550 lbs or so..........they aren't exactly nimble beasts!
                    NO no there not I suppose. Like I said I'm siding to the tried and true I-4 "Standard" Platforms of the late 90's early 2000's. HJFisk is coming up Thursday AM to see if he want to wheel and deal the 1150 for the ReX1100.

Honestly, If I could shave 50lbs off the 1150, add some 750 E bars instead of those damn clip ons and drop the height about an inch it would make the bike allot better!!! The 1150 is definitely a beast and if I wasn't so damn crouched and awkward on it I'd keep it... I thought about keeping it and swapping in a B-12 power plant to save on weight. I can only imagine the B-12 motor is lighter... But why molest a bike that nice when someone would love it just the way it is???

Thanks for the input and info guys I think I'll pass on the Vmax.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                      Roger. Looking for a low maintenance mile eater liter bike. HJFISK is selling a ZRX that we are going to swap slash I throw in some coin for my 1150ES. However I'm looking around just in case HJfisk deal goes south. Pretty much when the sap starts running marks the start of my motorcycle season. It's looking like the sap will start in a couple of weeks so I want to have my new bike by the end of Feb. A customer of mine has the Vmax for sale so I'd figure I'd do some research on it and ask about it.

Thanks for the input. If I can get some good seasons out of it I'd be happy. But reliability is a huge factor in what I want for a daily rider... This year I want to beat my Record for miles on a bike in a year and that's 20k. If the Vmax is capable I'll consider it. If not I'll look else where.
                      Reliability, liter class low maintenance = 1989 to 1993 FJ1200's
                      1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                      Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                        Hey guys. Some of you know I'm on the Market for a newer liter plus motorcycle for the spring. So locally there is a mint 92 Vmax 1200 with 12k miles on the clock guy is asking 4k for it which I will barter that price down as much as I can if I decide to buy...

Any way other then the thing being big brash and powerful does anyone have any opinions on the bike? Pointers? What to look for? Issues these bikes may have? It looks to be quite advanced for it age, with exceptional build quality and honestly the bike is just a bad a$$ looking machine. I also have no idea what they are worth but I've seen online others that are older going for mid $3k with well over 50k miles...

So please enlighten me.
                        Here's the kind of price you should be looking for this time of year!

Current stable:

Comment

Here's the kind of price you should be looking for this time of year!

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/3609405821.html
                          Thanks!
                          Good to know for future reference! I passed on the guy with the Vmax for he wouldn't budge on the price, even after telling him about the price of others... Pretty sure his sentimentality to the machine was included on the price tag. Lots of nice bikes out there right now to be had for good prices, I did find a couple Vmax's out there in that range a few hours from me... I'm going to keep my eyes peeled ... But don't be suprised if you find me on B-12 or Rex come spring.
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

What about an Fj1100 or Fj1200? I love mine, plenty of get up and go for me, one of the faster bikes back then and can still hold its own today. Looks good, comfortable, and feels like and nimble. It would be about the for your height too, I'm 6'2" and it's a little small for me but some rear sets will have it about perfect. I also bought a Corbin seat for mine, holy smokes is it comfortable!

Comment

Well, you love them or hate them. I've owned a 1985 that I blew lots of money on with bolt-on parts. My current giggle-scooter is a 1997 V-Max, basically the same bike without all the aftermarket stuff.
                              They are fun to ride but small fuel tank means frequent gas stops.
                              Watch out for transmission issues on use bikes and Kerker exhausts usually means cut off centerstand mounting brackets. The centerstand is nice for wheel / brake maintenance.
                              streetfighters

Comment

I've never ridden a Vmax, but have sat on them, and I don't think the stock seat would be very good for putting miles behind you.

As far as the FZ1 and low-end torque goes, all you need is a slightly different sprocket setup and that problem is fixed. That's how mine is set up and I love it. No, it's still not the torque monster my '01 Bandit was, but that beast was just too much torque. I literally had to lay on the handlebars to keep the front down when I got on it from a start. With my '01 Fizzy, I can go at least 175 miles on a tank of gas too. I just absolutely love the thing and I think you should at least take a closer look. In my experience though, I will tell you that you'll probably be looking for a non-stock seat and maybe even some handlebar risers. And, if you don't like a lot of wind hitting you, you'll be doing the windscreen dance looking for something better. The stock screen is perfect for me in the summer, but I need something more in cold weather. What I have on there now looks crazy rediculous but works great. It's a handbar mounted Memphis Shades Hellcat screen that fits right behind the stock screen. Perfect for cold weather, but when it warms up enough, I can just take it off.
                                Current Bikes:
                                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                                X