Is there a better bike for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
    Those cam issues are HIGHLY overstated, I've restored 50 V65 Magnas and only had cam issues on a couple, and they were HIGH mileage bikes, over 100K. There is an oil mod that you can do to take oil up to the top end, that's the likely "cause" of the premature cam failure. What I think happens is that they are notorious for low oil pressure at idle. So during the winter, guys start them up and let them sit and idle for long periods of time, and this causes the excessive cam wear. I have NEVER installed an oil mod, I don't believe in them, and boy do the guys that support them take issue to this! Is it a good insurance policy? Absolutely, but so is lightning insurance, and I'm not rushing out to buy that either, I'll take my chances and from my PERSONAL experience, it's not that big a problem. Granted, most of my bikes were from Texas too, where there really is no "winter", so that might explain why I haven't seen the issue very much. The REAL issue is 2nd gear, those are notorious for going out, just like the VMAX, and repair can cost 2K or more, not worth it based on the bikes value. You can get a NICE V65 Sabre in the 1500 dollar range, I've gotten decent ones for 500 bucks before. The gauge cluster is also a big issue, they have a tendency to fog up, and there's really no good way to fix it, the good ones are few and far between, and can bring 300-500 bucks on eBay. That all being said, they are GREAT touring bikes, especially if equipped with the Hondaline fairing. For the price, they are pretty hard to beat!
    Thanks for the short history on the issues with the V bikes.

Is the second gear issue a milage thing or would it just be a matter of paying attention during a test ride?

The Sabre does look like an interesting bike for the money.

Comment

2nd gear issues generally happen on the bikes that have been ridden hard, which is most of them, but obviously they are going to wear with age, so the higher the mileage, the better the chance of it becoming worn out. Basically, get it in 2nd gear and take it up to redline, if it doesn't jump out of gear, you're golden. Be careful though, 2nd gear at WOT and redline on a V65 is about 80+ mph!
      Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
      87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
      99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
      15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

2nd gear issues generally happen on the bikes that have been ridden hard, which is most of them, but obviously they are going to wear with age, so the higher the mileage, the better the chance of it becoming worn out. Basically, get it in 2nd gear and take it up to redline, if it doesn't jump out of gear, you're golden. Be careful though, 2nd gear at WOT and redline on a V65 is about 80+ mph!
        Reasonable advice; thanks again.

Although, I'm really thinking a bike like your B-king or a K1200R would be the right answer for the next bike. I saw a B-king on ebay with exhaust for $7K...

Comment

The one on eBay for 7K isn't a bad deal, but with the miles and cosmetic issues, I would think you'd be better off finding one in the 7500 range in better shape, they are out there if you look hard enough.
          Current stable:

Comment

When I bought my R1100RT two years ago I was actually looking for a K1100RS and just happened to see the RT on Craigslist here one Friday morning. It had 12k, was a one owner and looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor, plus it was my favorite color "Black".

Never had a BMW before but have grown to love this one. I've ridden it 20k since then, 3k last month on a round trip to Austin and it is a mileage eating machine. Fairing provides excellent protection from wind, weather and with an electrically adjustable wind screen it is just the $hit. I average 45 mpg which is a tick better than what I get on my "G" and with better than seven gallons I too can get 300 mi between fuel stops.

Most of the regular maintenance items, valves every 6k along with oil change, are easily done with the exception of the fuel filter, every 24k, which is time consuming but as long as you take your time it's no big deal. Alternator belts are replaced every 36k.

Valve adjustment and throttle body sync are key to having a smooth running engine. Taken care of they go forever, I ran into a local guy shortly after I bought mine up in Skull Valley, AZ, his was a 99 but identical to mine. With 172k on the clock it looked great and he said other than the regular maintenance he hadn't done anything else to it. With the "R" models 300k on the clock is fairly common, although you'll probably need to overhaul the gear box and final drive somewhere in there. The engine is unbelievable and almost capable of perpetual motion.

On the "R" bikes the spline issue is something that happens most commonly to the early 1150's when they went to the 6 speed box for some reason. I have spoken to several high mileage 1100 owners and none have experienced any issues with it and don't lube it with any regularity.

A good low mileage well maintained bike can be had anywhere between $ 3.5 - 5k.

Good luck

Comment

How about a 1984 GS1100GK?

wonderful bike for long distance touring...I took this one straight through to Nova Scotia, then went riding around there for a week before returning.

Stator was replaced in Nova Scotia and Honda R/R was soldered in place.
              Original windshield was replaced with lexan at home.

Runs well, but has low compression in one cylinder....spare engine available...

Has a leaky Y-pipe on left side....complete replacement headers and mufflers available.

(actually, an almost complete 1100G is available and it has to go this year.)

Tires have great tread....new about five years ago, and barely used since then...but the age is there.

The bike is in a friend's garage in Toronto. He has been out with it and really likes riding it, but he won't be doing that any more. His reality is that the GK is too big for him to wrestle in and out of the garage (non-paved driveway), plus seat height and short legs are not a good combination for him now that he has developed nerve problems in the legs. He cannot chance the strain and won't be riding it anymore.

He has decided to get his own bike (with lower seat height).

I cannot bring the GK home again as there are three bikes in the garage now and I have no space for it.
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Still looking? take a ride to Maine coast! BWM only 35k - sounds like a steal from a non-bike guy .

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have owned a 92 ST1100 which was a great looking bike and they can easily go to 100K if that is your thing but it lacked soul. 1995 & up ST's have the higher output alternator which are more reliable than 1991-94s.

The BMW's created the sport touring class but every one of them has to be tweaked to rider preference as others have stated.

Perhaps a late model FJ1200 with 17" wheels may be the ticket? The 1990 version has a nice paint job and 92-93's had an ABS option.

Just my 2 cents
                  1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                  Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

1985 Honda V65 Sabre 1100cc - $1600 (SR 135 and Smokey Row Road)

One of the original muscle bikes. Not for the beginning biker. Been in our family for over 20 years. I have owed it for the last 10 of those years. Runs great, Instrument clusters works except for the digital clock. Hate to see it go but I am not getting any younger and I bought a bike that fits me better so I need the garage space! The seat has been recovered and lowered. New gel battery. Always garaged and well cared for. 54,800 miles. Comes with my 1985 antique plate, original owner's manual, original Honda advertising brochure, Clymer's repair manual and if I can find it the original Cycle World magazine introducing bike. QUaranteeed to out run your Harley buddys. 317-422-1800
                    Current stable:

Comment

The one on eBay for 7K isn't a bad deal, but with the miles and cosmetic issues, I would think you'd be better off finding one in the 7500 range in better shape, they are out there if you look hard enough.
                      Sounds right.

I've also seen K1200r bikes with ABS and ESA for about $8K. Was leaning that way but its starting to look like the current mission will go for another year.

Comment

Working...
                      X