No announcement yet.

Sport Tourers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find this to work well... and they're less expensive to buy model year to model year than just about any other brand bike.

Can't say how the stocker seat performs on long distance riding but the Corbin is great!

This year from Cincinnati area to:

696 miles - TW Brown County Rally over 3 days
    1955 miles - Ozark Mtn's Arkansas Ride thru 6 states over 6 days
    1151 miles - Motocamping Trip to Tennessee, Alabama & Mississippi over 3 days
    3802 total miles of trips in a 30 day period without monkey butt, zero, not a bit.
    Bike performed flawlessly and the Triumph Triple is just amazing.

The key to any long distance touring platform is setting it up to work with your body's ergo's.

Not too shabby looking sans-bags either!

"Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

My State Farm site won't let me do quotes online (have to call in) but Progressive put the 2013 BMW cheaper than any of the others by a couple of hundred dollars so I'll have to really narrow it down. I guess the big question in my head will come down to what year range will I want to look at. Then figure out how to get that test ride.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by RageZro View Post
        I find this to work well... and they're less expensive to buy model year to model year than just about any other brand bike.

The Sprint was very much on my short list as a replacement for the crashed K11...
        Do you take it two up ever? If so, what does your passenger think?
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Hey Jim, how big is that top box? Will it hold a laptop?

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by eddie21 View Post
            The point is that at the end of that straight road I wound up on Hwy36! The idea of showing a shot like that was to give the idea of distance, these bikes are meant to go a long way and they still have a fun factor when the road does get twisty.
            You can't know max warp unless you have a road like his one

Comment

The nice thing about BMWs is you can buy them old and cheap and still have a bike that willl last years and years and trouble free years, no matter how many miles you ride. You will get your money back when you sell it. Parts are cheap because you don't buy very many. And they are as comfortable as anything made, especially the older ones.
              Come ride that R1100RT, you would like it. Super torquey, but an easy engine to operate, very easy to work on. It runs about like a GS1100G without the 7,000 RPM kick, only smoother and with much better gas mileage. Like all BMWs, the brakes are excellent. I'll put the seat on the low setting for you, it's easy to reach the ground.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
                You can't know max warp unless you have a road like his one

Very true! Trevor and I were talking the other day how living on Vancouver Island can be a little constricting when you just want to get away from traffic and let it loose. This photo was taken on Hwy50, the 'Loneliest Road'. For an Island guy it was great to find myself cruising at a high rate of speed for miles on end with absolutely zero traffic... we don't get that on the Island!

Also agree that these heavy sport tourers shed a lot of weight once you start moving. The C14 is a big bike and I certainly understand it can be a handful for a smaller person.
                Last edited by eddie21; 06-16-2013, 11:53 AM.
                IBA# 12860
                Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                1984 KZ1100R
                2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Just watched a Kanadian motorcycle magazine style show. Two guys were touring on BMW's. They almost looked like Bergmans. I don't know what they were ?
                  Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                  Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                  1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                    The Sprint was very much on my short list as a replacement for the crashed K11...
                    Do you take it two up ever? If so, what does your passenger think?
                    We have a Wing for that duty for now but I hope to have a report from the wife on a bit of a long ride on the Sprint with her on the back. I don't think she could do the miles I did even if it good for a day trip for her. The only thing I have found that makes for a happy pillion is the Wing if you are going to do a multi-day ride.

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    Hey Jim, how big is that top box? Will it hold a laptop?
                    Depending on the lap top I think it should be no problem at all, give me the dimensions of yours and I'll check to see if yours would fit laying flat. I've had huge sleeping bag in there with other stuff. The side boxes will hold a full face helmet no problem.
                    "Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                      Just watched a Kanadian motorcycle magazine style show. Two guys were touring on BMW's. They almost looked like Bergmans. I don't know what they were ?
                      They were touring the Catskill's on 600cc BMW maxi scooters.

The host of the show ends every episode with-

"Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked"
                      IBA# 12860
                      Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                      1984 KZ1100R
                      2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                      2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Originally posted by RageZro View Post
                        Depending on the lap top I think it should be no problem at all, give me the dimensions of yours and I'll check to see if yours would fit laying flat. I've had huge sleeping bag in there with other stuff. The side boxes will hold a full face helmet no problem.
                        My work laptop is a 13-inch Dell; figure about 20" diagonal for my laptop bag which includes all the gear I'd need to connect to my equipment when called in at night.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

This is my new sport tourer. 1992 ninja 600r.

Unlike most of the bikes you mentioned its light. Super light. Good wind protection for me, and even loaded down with some soft bags and camping gear it will handle like a surgeons scalpel. I am taking it to Nova Scotia in July and expect the bike will be perfect. It works for me and my riding style but I suspect it wouldn't be the first choice touring bike for many..

However do yourself and your wallet a huge favor and skip a 2013 bike. There are tons of late 90's and early 00's bikes that will do everything a brand new bike will, but for much, much less.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                            This is my new sport tourer. 1992 ninja 600r.

Unlike most of the bikes you mentioned its light. Super light. Good wind protection for me, and even loaded down with some soft bags and camping gear it will handle like a surgeons scalpel. I am taking it to Nova Scotia in July and expect the bike will be perfect. It works for me and my riding style but I suspect it wouldn't be the first choice touring bike for many..

However do yourself and your wallet a huge favor and skip a 2013 bike. There are tons of late 90's and early 00's bikes that will do everything a brand new bike will, but for much, much less.

Nice looking bike and thanks for the advice.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

One factor mentioned several times in this thread is the desire/need for two-up riding. Two-up riding is the main reason I bought the FJR. With the saddle bags (standard) and top trunk (optional) Cathy and I have done many long trips, as long as 5500 miles. Having a comfortable passenger 'compartment' is critical if two-up riding is part of your equation.

I agree with the 'less is more' philosophy as far as one-up bikes. My last one-up bike was an '04 VFR800 and my current is an '09 Aprilia Shiver. Both were plenty fast and great handling. I do not see the need for a liter bike for one-up riding. The VFR was a great all-around bike but was too tight in the knees for longer trips. The Shiver is more upright and much more open in the legs. It really is more of a Motard or Hooligan bike but is certainly comfortable enough for weekend trips. Neither the VFR or Shiver were equipped with hard luggage. Neither were as comfortable as the FJR, which fits me and Cathy perfectly.

It sounds like you want hard luggage as part of your sport-tourer. This somewhat limits your choices but be aware that Givi and others make luggage kits for a lot of bikes such as the Bandit series. Once you have hard luggage it will be difficult to do without. Hard luggage is secure, waterproof, and, if well designed, very easy to take off and put on.

Another segment of bikes that make great sport-tourers are Adventure bikes. I have ridden with BMW GS, Triumph Tiger, and even KLR riders that really tear up the road. Adventure bikes have great open seating positions with wide handlebars and narrower rubber than make steering very light. They also usually offer hard luggage options. The Adventure bags are usually big ugly boxes but often hold more than the stylized bags on most sport tourers. My next two-up sport-tourer may very well be a big Adventure bike.

It sounds like you are looking for a mostly one-up sport tourer with hard luggage. Factory hard bags are available on the VFR. The BMW 800 series bikes would be another great option. The Triumph Tiger 800 would be a great choice. One quirky choice is a Kawasaki Versys. They are available with factory (Givi) bags and are very capable all around bikes. They are also ridiculously cheap. I was actually looking for a Versys when I found the Shiver.

You mention buying brand new a couple times. There are definitely advantages to buying new but I doubt I will never buy a brand new bike again. There are too many beautiful low mileage bikes a few years old for significant discounts over new, especially living up north where we have long winters. The guy I bought my '09 Shiver from had about $13K in the bike including purchase price, taxes, accessories, and extended warranty. I bought it in '11 with around 5K miles for $6K. Deals like this are readily available so if you have the $$$ you can really make out on a nearly new bike. Some banks and credit unions will even finance used bikes so you can get the great deals even if you don't have the cash in hand.

Thanks,
                              Joe
                              IBA# 24077
                              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

One other factor which will help define your choice is whether you require shaft drive or can accept chain or belt drive. Shaft drive is very nice, especially on the more powerful bikes. I have found that liter bikes are much harder on chains than bikes like the VFR and Shiver. Liter bikes also tear up tires significantly quicker, especially if you do a lot of two-up riding with the bags loaded up.

Thanks,
                                Joe
                                IBA# 24077
                                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
                                X