No announcement yet.

Sport Tourers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that information Joe and it definitely helps answer a couple of questions. My two-up riding really only consists of me and either of my two daughters as the wife just isn't into it and I'm not pushing her. The eldest, 15, is already wanting her own bike so any two up with her will be short-lived to say the least. The younger, 11, has more time but we have issues with her falling asleep on very long and/or boring rides in the truck. In fact, one time she actually did fall asleep on my 550T and about scared the bejeezus out of me. We since discovered she has some medical reasons for it and hopefully they'll be cleared up soon.

New is not a priority but I like the looks of some of them. If I can find a 90s or early 00s model of the same basic style that will do just fine. But this was trying to help figure it out in my head as I keep wondering what if. Of course, the first priority is to get my 550 back on the road so I can ride and at least enjoy what I have. I also know I'll never get rid of my 550 as it is fun to ride when I'm not wrenching on it.

Either way, I have learned a lot already and will try to save this thread off so I can refer back to it later.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      The younger, 11, has more time but we have issues with her falling asleep on very long and/or boring rides in the truck. In fact, one time she actually did fall asleep on my 550T and about scared the bejeezus out of me.
      Cathy falls asleep on the back of the FJR all the time............a quick twist of the throttle usually wakes her up.
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

+1 on a Ninja 650r or Versys. The 650cc parallel twin motor, not the sportier 4 cylinder ZX model. You can add some givi hardbags and a top case and have a great, comfortable, lightweight bike with enough power for highways, and good handling.

But it isn't a 600+lb monstrosity (which is a very good thing!) And they are cheap, and being Japanese will never break down, and the parts are plentiful if you wreck.

Comment

OK...that fact that you don't need 2up capability opens up all kinds of options, as stated above.

I would not have the BMW K-bike if I didn't need to go 2up....

But I might have a BMW F800ST....
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Although I haven't ridden many of the "sport tourers" I bought my R1100RT two years ago and don't know how I could be happier. I finished a 3k mi. trip back to Austin and east Texas in April and had a blast. The Beemer has a great fairing, averaged 45 mpg overall which is better than my average on the Zook, handles great in the twisties which surprised me and you can carry a ton of junk, enough for two weeks plus camping gear. in addition to being one of the most comfortable bikes I have ridden, 1000 mi. days are definitely doable.

I'm sure that other bikes are just as capable but you can get one of these oil head RT's in great shape for $ 3,000 and up depending on your budget. There are numerous documented cases where these things reach the 300k mark in the original unmolested engines. You'll probably need to get into the transmission and final drive to go that far but what tha hey.

Like most bikes if you maintain them as per the manual they are efficient, reliable. But for my money the Beemer's are a great value and will pretty much run forever.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
              OK...that fact that you don't need 2up capability opens up all kinds of options, as stated above.

I would not have the BMW K-bike if I didn't need to go 2up....

But I might have a BMW F800ST....
              http://oldboystoys.com/2010/08/24/mo...rcycle-review/

I think the only glaring shortcoming of the 1200 Bandit is its' passenger comfort for extended riding. For a young passenger, for a few hours, it is fine, but not much longer than that before it will be uncomfortable for them (my opinion). If just infrequent, short duration, passenger carrying ability is needed, I would seriously consider a B12.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I looked at a new Suzuki GSX1250FA and it felt and looked cheap. Yes it was cheap ($8k new) but I wanted something that felt more top of the line.

I would not worry about getting a liter or bigger bike. They all weight so much that if you keep the RPMs down, not much can happen. But they sure are nice when you are going up a hill at highway speeds.

For me and my limited skills, all the bike listed are too big to lane share. I would want the smaller older versions of these bikes. I am currently looking at the BMW K100.

Sounds like a fun motorcycle buying adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by subforry View Post
                  I am currently looking at the BMW K100.

Sounds like a fun motorcycle buying adventure.
                  And don't forget the K75s...they are very popular, lighter and smoother.

For you:

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                    I had a K75S in Scotland one year, loved it. We did a lot of two up riding although not much multi day stuff. It was a great bike, and absolutely the smoothest running motorcycle engine I have ever ridden. I wish it was available with the K1100RS fairing, if it was I would have one now.

They did make a K75 RT, but I liked the smaller RS fairing a lot better.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                    X