Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's one for you: http://www.retrowriteup.com/yamaha-tw200/

Comment

Another cheap, decent dual sport option (not a big wheel though) is the 1985-2000 Yamaha XT350. I have one, and it's been bulletproof on and off road. Suspension isn't great, but it's a good compromise. 6 speed, and they can cruise at 70 on the highway just fine. I get about 60 mpg, and with a larger tank, I have a 250+ mile range. And a massive rack on the back. I liked the TW, but it was too underpowered for me to feel safe riding on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
        Another cheap, decent dual sport option (not a big wheel though) is the 1985-2000 Yamaha XT350.
        great suggest.
        the TW200's are great for 'tinkering' and floating on loose stuff.
        but they're a 'small' bike for sure!

Comment

It's obvious they are not great highway bikes, but short trips will be fine, besides that's what the GS is for.
          My place in West Texas is about 14 miles from town on backroads, some are paved and some are not.
          And there's tons of trail riding opportunities on and around my property, plus nearby desert and mountain trips.

I think I may have better luck finding a TW200 after summer is over, maybe even closer to winter.
          From the ones I've seen listed, they have great resell value. Maybe a little too good.

Comment

Another option would be a Yamaha Bigwheel.

Comment

far out! spent some time on the 200 model on sand south of the border.
              a 350 would be fantastic! but they command serious pricing when one becomes available. great stuff!

Originally posted by Samsonite View Post

Comment

I had the Honda version of the 200 big wheel yammy, it was great fun to beat the hell out if. Not nearly as nimble As a regular dirt bike but fun in its own way. As far as the tw goes, I know a guy from a local bike shop who has one and he loves it for all around general commuting/trail riding.

Comment

I have a 1998. I have taken some relatively long (days long) highway trips on it, and I use it around town and around the farm. Re farm: think 'hilly'. I find it to be a friendly, reliable and predictable little friend, one that will go anywhere... and I wouldn't part with it for love nor money. *S*

S.

Comment

I got 2 of them, both 1996. They will climb almost anything and have good ground clearance. Max out around 65 mph and they are great for trails like 45 mph. I did hit 75 mph going down a steep hill, weighing 230 helped too

Put Slime in the tires and not many cactus will stop you. If you have a battery problem check the white electrical connector under the seat coming from the alternator, I just cut it off and wired it up directly and no more dead batteries. In the 1/8 mine did 12.50 at 45 mph.

You can see some pretty wild ones on Youtube too !
                    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by Samsonite View Post

Looks like fun but I believe this model is not street legal. TW200 looks like a practical and fun vehicle. If you require more street legal power the air cooled Honda XRs and other 4stroke dual puerpose bikes can be had reasonably priced.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                        I rode a TW200 when I took the MSF weekend course. Probably great for the trails, but it sucked for puttering around in a parking lot.

Actually it is one of the better training motorcycles that is available in the US. The seat is a little tall, but the low gearing, fairly smooth power delivery and wide handlebars make them a great tool for the MSF range.

We also use the Suzuki TU and I love it for the FI, but it is geared a little high for range use and the narrower bars require more input. Still works well, but....

I would love to have the TU powerplant in the TW, but of course the TU looks a million % better too.

Comment

Working...
                        X