2000 bmw r1100rt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
    +1: The R100RS will last forever and hold their value forever as well. Germans are known for riding their bikes hard but they also maintain them well like Germans do. They go 100K without breathing hard. They were actually so popular when the K100 came out in 1984 the airheads (R Series) didn't adopt them. Then BMW brought back the R100's & R80s in 1988 till 1992.

The 77 R100RS is considered the most desirable from a collectability standpoint but the later models 1980-1984 years had some significant improvements which made them better riders. If you had the opportunity to buy one like pictured its a no brainer decision. If you don't want it please PM me.

You would be in good company too, Peter Egan's (Cycle World Editor at Large) collection includes a 1983 R100RS IIRC.
    Mine was nowhere near that clean.

Pete doesn't have one now, but owned the same one twice. Can't remember who bought it from him last time, but it stayed in the neighborhood.
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Patterson View Post
      Mine was nowhere near that clean.

Pete doesn't have one now, but owned the same one twice. Can't remember who bought it from him last time, but it stayed in the neighborhood.
      I have read he owned the 900ss twice, still have yet to see one on the street. Oh well didn't mean to hijack but here is a 1977 R100RS on C/L albeit a long time now

1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
      Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

What is with the rare 40mm cylinders? I did a quick search for specs, and came up with a bore and stroke of 90mmx70.6mm. Am I missing something? That bike seems like a decent buy.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2013, 10:26 PM.

Comment

What he meant is 40mm Bing Carbs. After 1984 the R100 series were equipped with 32mm Bing Carbs.
          1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
          Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Now, that makes sense. I'd guess that switch was an emission thing? Although, a 40mm carb sounds kinda big for filling a 500cc cylinder, anyway. But I'm not an engineer.

Comment

My 'new' 2000 bike just turned 24000 miles I thought it might be a good idea to have the Beemer shop do the 12000 mile inspection that the bike's maintenance schedule specifies for that mileage. The bike is way out of warranty of course, but I figured it would not hurt to have someone familiar with the machine go over everything and give me a good baseline from which to plan future maintenance. I was prepared to pay a few hundred dollars to have it done.

But the quote was $1080. That does include changing all fluids, valve adjustment, and a new air filter, but no other parts. I decided to wait.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
              80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                But the quote was $1080. That does include changing all fluids, valve adjustment, and a new air filter, but no other parts. I decided to wait.
                Well, there is that....
                I changed all the fluids, adjusted valves, replaced battery, replaced air filter and replaced spark plugs on my R1100S...for about $200 in parts and an afternoon...

Get a quote on a clutch replacement or a spline lube if you really want a laugh...
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                  I decided to wait.
                  Good call. When I run into a situation like this, I normally DIY it, then take some of the money I saved and by myself a nice tool or accessory for the bike. A factory service manual would be my first purchase.

Comment

I agree, you can do everything yourself, I would have someone who has experience with the 1100 to do the valves and throttle body sync at least the first time. Getting that right makes a tremendous difference in the smoothness of the engine and can eliminate any surging.

I did mine as per the manufacturer and it ran great I thought until Moto Ghost here in PHX did it for me the last time, big difference..

There are plenty of knowledgeable shops around that know these bikes and you don't need to pay BMW prices. IMO it would be worth a couple of hours shop time just to look over his shoulder.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                      Good call. When I run into a situation like this, I normally DIY it, then take some of the money I saved and by myself a nice tool or accessory for the bike. A factory service manual would be my first purchase.
                      Amen......

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by bbjumper View Post
                        I agree, you can do everything yourself, I would have someone who has experience with the 1100 to do the valves and throttle body sync at least the first time. Getting that right makes a tremendous difference in the smoothness of the engine and can eliminate any surging.

I did mine as per the manufacturer and it ran great I thought until Moto Ghost here in PHX did it for me the last time, big difference..

There are plenty of knowledgeable shops around that know these bikes and you don't need to pay BMW prices. IMO it would be worth a couple of hours shop time just to look over his shoulder.

Cheers
                        I completely agree and I was willing to spend a few hundred $ to shortcut getting up to a speed on a new and different motorcycle. But four figures for an 'inspection' gave me pause. I am now on the lookout for one of those knowledgeable shops. I joined the local BMW club but it's next meeting isn't for another month.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Working...
                        X