No announcement yet.

Kz750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sure agree with the handle bar buzz. I bought an 81 KZ750LTD of all things and did some touring on it. The numbness in my hands was horrible, it lasted in my right for weeks if not a month.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The Z1 and the KZ750 are very different bikes. While visually they may look similar, internally they are not.
      • The KZ750 has a plain bearing crank versus a roller crank on the Z1.
      • The KZ750 has a primary chain, the Z1 straight cut gears.
      • The Z1 cams run in plain bearings, the KZ750 cam journals are machined into the head.
      • The starter motor clutch is in the middle of the engine on the KZ750, it's on the end of the crank on a Z1.
      • The KZ750 uses shim under buckets versus the shim over approach on the Z1.

Those last two differences are key - a number of KZ750's sit because the starter clutch replacement is too intimidating for many owners (and too expensive for a shop to do) - and the KZ750 didn't have a kick starter. This was deleted when they jumped from the KZ650 to the KZ750.

Being shim under, you have to remove the cams to adjust the valve clearance - this is also beyond many owners, so it's not unusual to find these bikes with zero valve clearance and running very rough.

Overall the KZ750 is a great bike - very nimble with good handling.

Comment

jeff, I can tell by your avitar how you would know all this.I have 2 mk 2 engines, are you jealous?
        future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.saunders View Post
          • The starter motor clutch is in the middle of the engine on the KZ750, it's on the end of the crank on a Z1.
          • The KZ750 uses shim under buckets versus the shim over approach on the Z1.

Those last two differences are key - a number of KZ750's sit because the starter clutch replacement is too intimidating for many owners (and too expensive for a shop to do) - and the KZ750 didn't have a kick starter. This was deleted when they jumped from the KZ650 to the KZ750.

Being shim under, you have to remove the cams to adjust the valve clearance - this is also beyond many owners, so it's not unusual to find these bikes with zero valve clearance and running very rough.
          Is this also true of the 1980-82 KZ550? I can't see a kick starter in the pic on CL or when I look at other pics online. I am referring to the starter motor clutch in the center of the engine and the difficult valve adjustment issue you mentioned with the KZ750. Thanks.

Comment

KZ550 are shim under bucket, as are most modern bikes. Kind of a pain, but more durable than rocker arm shaft engines.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              KZ550 are shim under bucket, as are most modern bikes. Kind of a pain, but more durable than rocker arm shaft engines.
              What about the starter clutch location?
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by winfield View Post
                Is this also true of the 1980-82 KZ550? I can't see a kick starter in the pic on CL or when I look at other pics online. I am referring to the starter motor clutch in the center of the engine and the difficult valve adjustment issue you mentioned with the KZ750. Thanks.
                Yes ---------
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  Yes ---------
                  Off the list.

Comment

The biggest issue with the KZ550's is the very strange TK carbs... they are a good bike to ride - you have to buzz the motor to get them moving, but they are fun for the back roads.

Comment

Of the little Kawi's I like this one, been on the hunt for one for quite some time..

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.saunders View Post
                        The biggest issue with the KZ550's is the very strange TK carbs... they are a good bike to ride - you have to buzz the motor to get them moving, but they are fun for the back roads.
                        My neighbor bought a brand new 550 in Denver, 1981. We rode from there to So Cal, and up the coast to the Bay area, camped in Yosemite, then he split back to Denver and I got a job in Pasadena. it was fun. I rode it some. It was ok. This wasn't a GPZ. I was on my 850 Commando on that trip. The bikes weighed about the same. The little one 20 pounds or so heavier.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                          Of the little Kawi's I like this one, been on the hunt for one for quite some time..

http://www.greatoldbikes.com/motorcy...asakikz700.htm
                          I like that one too, and would love to find it, or it's non-tariffed older brother from 1983:

sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                            I like that one too, and would love to find it, or it's non-tariffed older brother from 1983:

Yep love the paint scheme

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                              Yep love the paint scheme
                              I screams "I love the Eighties!".

I used to have an '82 GS750E with the black/red/orange getup, and my GS650E also has that color scheme.

I'm going to look at a CB900F Saturday that has the screaming paint job too:

sigpic

SUZUKI:
                              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post

This bike, known as the KZ750 L3, is a 1982 GPz with different bodywork and instrumentation. The paint scheme is eye catching, to be sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X