No announcement yet.

goldwing versus 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with you Steve.On my last goldwing, I loved doing 85 and feeling like it was 50.I loved the cruise control.That is a feature I wish every bike had. But seldom do i tour.But a friend of mine just bought a venture.That is why the whole touring bug got restirred up.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Well, I have limited experience with a Venture or two, too. #1 son had an '83 Venture and now has an '86 Venture Royale (seen in my sig). He takes them farther to the limits than I do, but has commented on how they are surprisingly agile.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Doing it reverse...

Interesting conversation ..Glad I stumbled on to it...

I am currently looking to do the reverse..I have a GL1500 in my garage,(actually 2-one is my sons). And I have over 126,000 miles on it and LOVE riding it.

However - Over the past year I have had the opportunity to own a GS650L and really liked the way it rode, and hadnled, and sounded. But my friends teased me about being too big for th ebike. They said i "...looked like a monkey humping a football.." . So I sold it when my oldest son (bikeless) said something about owning a home adn having a wife and not being able to buy the bike from me.

I sold it for a nice little profit. Then in late summer another friend "gifted" me a non-running CX500 that I fixed and sold also making another little profit in the process.

While I had these bikes in my possesion I realized that riding a smaller bike (than the 'Wing) had some advantages...better MPG, more fun, crisp handling and prolonged the life of the 'Wing as it wasn't doing 5000 miles per year just commuting into town everyday (yes I ride nearly everyday in season).

SO - I had to have a GS850 to do this commuting on, and the local rides to bike nights, and just tooling around the countryside where I live etc. I will still take the Wing when I am leaving on a multi-day 1000+ miles trip. The cruise, radio, custom seat, and other amenities mean a lot to me...

But I am going to get a nice GS850 GL running (with Steve's help) and really have a blast next summer enjoying the many advantages of the Suzuki.

Obviously with a nick name of WINGsconsin I am partial to Goldwings here in Harley Davidson loving Wisconsin, but something about the metric cruiser has drawn me in
        Currently in the Stable :
        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I agree with you wingsconsin.I owned 2 83 ventures,88 wing,96 wing,04 ultra classic,01 royal star tour deluxe,and a valkyrie. The ventures are great bikes as are the wings, but they are really meant to be ridden straight down the road hour after hour mile after mile,in comfort.But around town and in parking lots they got to be a bit much for me. I was so happy to get a bike like the 850.Something that had enough power to tour if i wanted to, but light and nimble enough to do all the riding that i do the majority of the time.And in town traffic and parking lots,they are so much easier.Its my opinion based on my own riding experience but i feel you only need 50 rwhp to commute, cruise, or tour.Riding solo. I once put 12000 miles in 1 year on an 800 vulcan. I didnt mind it at all. The gs 850 has a claimed 76.Subtract 15% for getting it to the rear wheel and its about 65 rwhp.More than enough to do anything I want, even 2 up.My harley weighed 850 pounds and had only 62 hp.But it was good for touring.If you have Steve's help you are a lucky man. I got off my 88 wing one time and looked at it. I said you know, sometimes a bike is just too dang big. The wing seems that way to me, but millions say otherwise. The 850 is the sweet spot of size handling and performance for me.I hope it is for you too.
          Last edited by ron bayless; 11-07-2013, 09:11 PM.
          future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

I've had them both, too. They have two wheels, four cylinders, and shafts. That's where the similarities end. They are two different, great machines, and either may or may not suit a particular rider. It might be pretty hard to do, but if possible, test each one before making the buy.

The best thing is to have one of each?

Comment

Great idea !

Originally posted by GS ace View Post
              I've had them both, too. They have two wheels, four cylinders, and shafts. That's where the similarities end. They are two different, great machines, and either may or may not suit a particular rider. It might be pretty hard to do, but if possible, test each one before making the buy.

The best thing is to have one of each?
              That's my plan ....

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

I'm working on it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I can now more understand why some people own more than 1 bike.[/QUOTE]

For me, this is of course the real answer.

There are way too many cool, fun, interesting bikes out there to own just one...

I saw a nice 2005 Triumph Bonnie, or what ever they call them now, on CL for $1900. Hmmm

Comment

They have two wheels, four cylinders, and shafts. That's where the similarities end.
                    For Wingsconsin and me, there are fewer similarites than that.

Our Wings have SIX cylinders.

And they are both BLUE, too. .

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When I said older Wing I meant 1990's not the seventies! :>)

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
                        You're right. I love the weight of the 850.Its perfect for me.I have a tour pack to mount on it,doesnt weigh much.Once I get tc bros forward controls I will be good to go.Goldwing motors last longer, but the bikes are much heavier.And who rides a bike for 200,000 miles anyway? few people. I dont care anything about music playing.
                        As stated by others, the 850 is a reliable workhorse. For what it lacks in amenities like Barcalounger seats, it makes up for in simplicity.

4th of July weekend, in the midst of an 850 mile trip up to the UP of Michigan, back down the other side:

We were saddlesore a bit, but it was still a great ride.

Comment

Oh really...?

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
                          As stated by others, the 850 is a reliable workhorse. For what it lacks in amenities like Barcalounger seats, it makes up for in simplicity.
                          Barcalounger seat...?

Here is my Goldwing Seat after a recover --

Okay ..maybe a barcaloounger...

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

When the 850s were being made, the 'Wing had only four cylinders. 1000 and 1100cc models. I guess that I should have specified the era prior to '88, the first year of the 1500 six. I had a Saddleman gel seat with the air adjustable backrest on my Aspencade, color matched to the wineberry, of course.

Our GWTA chapter had a nice combination of year models. It was kind of neat to see them lined up on our dinner rides.

Comment

I had a Saddleman gel seat with the air adjustable backrest on my Aspencade, color matched to the wineberry, of course.
                              Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                              I rest my case.....

Comment

man that seat looks comfortable. My stock seat on my 850 is very comfortable.I remember my gs 1000, it was the first seat I ever rode on that was comfortable all day long. As far as 6 cylinder goldwings go other than having to replace the timing belts they run forever.My valkyrie would pass the nickel test.Start it up, stand a nickel on edge on the cylinder head.rev the bike.It wont fall over.But the valk only got 27 mpg.It was the tourer.I loved the bike, hated the mpg.

Comment

Working...
                                X