No announcement yet.

Anything to look for on a yamaha xv535?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) The Ninja 500 is really just a Kawasaki EX500, a decent bike for a beginner and one I have recommended to smaller people lots of times.
    2) Going larger means a huge increase in weight, not a good thing for a beginner.
    3) Talking someone into a larger, heavier bike when they have already expressed misgivings is a recipe for disaster. Period.
    JMHO, tempered with 4 decades of experience.

Comment

They are decent bikes if you like the cruiser type thing. they hold their value and are a pretty desirable "chick bike"
      They are kind of a "fake" harley... fake fuel tank....fake exhaust (muffler actually underneath) fake cylinder heads... those little chrome pods are fake somethings, one of them has electrics in it the other is empty. the air box is in the frame under the fake tank.
      Nice medium small bike fun to ride, smooth unintimidating power delivery and will move right along if you rev it up. about 400 lbs, they'll do 100 mph no problem. I was quite surprised how well they do for a little V twin. maybe faster than a Honda shadow 750 or 883 sporty. certainly lighter and easy to ride.
      1987 has a small tank, and it is under the seat, ( kind of a pain to fill ) uses an electrically switched reserve with a warning lamp. maybe 2 gallons, gets about 110 miles out of that. has an electric fuel pump as well.
      Adjust the valves before you put the carbs back on. easier screw and lock nut set-up. The carburetors have plastic and metal slide that falls apart but easily sorted with a little glue.
      what else.... wire wheels!, shaft drive!
      crummy brakes and suspension, like all old jap bikes.
      my wife has had one for years, easy to maintain, reliable as a hammer. a small windscreen and hard bags, go anywhere, have fun
      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

EX 500 Ninjas are hard to find in decent cosmetic shape. Thrashed ones abound.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Well there was a Yamaha 535 sitting in my workshop this morning so I guess that's what happened. Stripped/dipped the first carb and found a pinhole in the diaphragm. Not the same as any of my spares, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Comment

Originally posted by ezmack View Post
            Well there was a Yamaha 535 sitting in my workshop this morning so I guess that's what happened. Stripped/dipped the first carb and found a pinhole in the diaphragm. Not the same as any of my spares, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
            I use hondabond liquid gasket for mending diaphram's works a treat if you don't want to buy new

Comment

How similar is that to the suzuki case sealer? I can't remember the name suzukibond? 1202b. The black stuff, I have a tube of that. My experience with most goops is they don't hold up to gas very well, again not my money I told him to see what new ones cost.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2014, 05:36 PM.

Comment

How similar is that to the suzuki case sealer? I can't remember the name suzukibond? 1202b. The black stuff, I have a tube of that.
                not sure, probably the same

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Genuine Honda 08717-1194 Hondabond 4 Semi-drying Liquid Gasket OEM at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!

Comment

How similar is that to the suzuki case sealer? I can't remember the name suzukibond? 1202b. The black stuff, I have a tube of that. My experience with most goops is they don't hold up to gas very well, again not my money I told him to see what new ones cost.
                  How much are you charging him if at all? I am always curious if everyone just works on their buddy's stuff for free. I'm at the point where it's family only because I just don't have spare time anymore. In any case hope it all works out for you and him. Did he have to go the full $800?

Comment

Nah I'm not charging him anything. I showed him how to do one carb, he's going to do the other maybe i'll get some beer out of it. He's a pretty talented wood worker maybe we can barter something out. Not sure what he paid I'd assume the full 800.

Comment

Working...
                    X