No announcement yet.

Would you purchase a bike sight unseen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought Simon's GS750 in Ohio sight unseen. UNfortuntely due to circumstances beyond my control still haven't seen it.
    I think it will turn out OK.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
      Exactly on point, Daniel. The original question said "Sight unseen". That means no photos, no nothin'.

"Did you ever buy a bike without viewing it in person?" is a whole 'nother question.
      I have bought 60, give or take a few, bikes in the last 3 years. The only bike I actually had to commit to before seeing it was the GS850 I ride now. He was going to list on CL, ect unless I said I'd take it. Now I could have backed out when I got there I suppose but he shot straight with me and I gave him the parts bike price he was asking for it after it had sat for 2 years. One of my best purchases I have made.

A couple or three months ago I got a got a call. Guy wanted to sell his KZ250 and I was looking for twins at the time. $800 bucks, 580 miles on the odometer with title, one owner. He was a farmer, older, and had no way to take pics. I did say I would take it at $500, guess I gave a semi-firm /firm commitment so he would hold till I get make the trip. Bike was a disaster in every way and needed everything. Been dropped 30-40 times in barn, tank, seat, everything a mess. Last time I make a drive, trailer in tow, without some kind of picture unless the damn thing is free!

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
        Sigt unseen means that you have not seen it in any way.
        I would never buy something without seeing it in person.
        Well, the OP responded to all the stories of people buying from internet pictures only as if that's what he meant.

I doubt if he meant "no pictures, not seeing it, only going on the seller's verbal description", because, quite frankly, I don't think anybody who could figure out how to boot up a computer would be stupid enough to do that.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I bought my first 1100e on ebay in 1990. It had a few issues that weren't mentioned. The first and most glaring was the fact that it was an E and not an L. I got it cheap for that very reason. Buyer beware. I still have the bike and, in fact, changing the RR as we speak.
          Richard

Comment

Originally posted by rwnielsen View Post
            I bought my first 1100e on ebay in 1990. It had a few issues that weren't mentioned. The first and most glaring was the fact that it was an E and not an L. I got it cheap for that very reason. Buyer beware. I still have the bike and, in fact, changing the RR as we speak.
            Richard
            I think you have a typo there.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by rwnielsen View Post
              I bought my first 1100e on ebay in 1990. It had a few issues that weren't mentioned. The first and most glaring was the fact that it was an E and not an L.

An E for an L price, Hell of a deal there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

1999, sorry. I've had it a while.
                I didn't know it was an E until the truck dropped it off. In retrospect, I'm pretty happy about it.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2014, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I have bought a couple bikes without seeing them, and two more I committed to before I set out to pick them up (8 hours away, each way) and I have been absolutely satisfied with every single deal.

Only wish I had more cash flow to hit up Vmass' sale on skunk parts and then I would be a very happy camper!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X