1994 Suzuki RF900R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1994 Suzuki RF900R

I just stumbled across one of these on my local Craigslist. Admittedly my '82 GS650 is my first Suzuki, so it's no surprise that I'm not familiar with this model. I guess my question is, has anyone owned one and is/was it any good? Having owned a 2006 Honda CBR1000RR I'm always looking for a little (ok, a lot) more power. I like the idea of the sport-touring seating position, good power, and big tank. The styling is a bit odd but that doesn't bother me at all. He's asking $3,000 for it; seems steep to me for a 20 year old bike but it does look like it's in really good shape.

Power is awesome. They are rockets. Weak second gear issues, and bodywork is expensive.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

I can't remember - isn't the motor a tuned down GSXR1000? I do know the early Bandit 1200 shares similar forks, and identical front wheel / fender / brakes.

And I'm not saying it's cheap by any means, but Airtech reproduces some of the body work.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        Power is awesome. They are rockets. Weak second gear issues, and bodywork is expensive.
        As mentioned here, ask the seller for proof of addressing the second gear issues.
        I think there is a GSXR transmission crossover.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

GSXR's had 2nd gear issues? Didn't know that.

I had a 600 for a brief time. Power and handling was good, suspension not to much. Choppy ride. Riding position was sporty, not sport-touring, which suggests more upright.

I'd rather have a VFR Honda than a RF Suzuki..
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The engine is similar to the water cooled Gsxr but not the same. Very well reviewed bike at the time.
            sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
            1994 gsxr1100w
            1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

I had both an RF600R and an RF900R... great bikes. All day comfortable, quick, decent handling, decent brakes and a huge taillight to keep the traffic behind you alert!

A rarish bike in North America so parts are thin on the ground but over in the UK it was a big seller so if you need anything, eBay UK is your friend.

If you go for the bike, join this forum: http://www.rfownersclub.co.uk/index.php
              2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
              2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA
              2015 BMW RnineT

Dave

Comment

I know that the RF900 was very well received by the motorcycle press. Idon't quite know why that they didn't sell.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The stingray or Testarossa strakes were not loved, nor was the fat ass tail light and some of the hideous paint schemes; but the bike underneath had a stonking motor that could give a ZX-9 a run for its money. Gearbox issues were an Achilles', and many of them were thrashed by squids who picked them up on the cheap.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                    I know that the RF900 was very well received by the motorcycle press. Idon't quite know why that they didn't sell.
                    I believe the RF's less than stellar sales —as well as other decent offerings at the time— were somewhat attributed to Honda's release of the Fireblade, around the same era. Never rode a 'Blade, but understand it was/is a remarkable motorcycle.
                    '80 GS1000ST
                    '92 ZX-11
                    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
                      I believe the RF's less than stellar sales —as well as other decent offerings at the time— were somewhat attributed to Honda's release of the Fireblade, around the same era. Never rode a 'Blade, but understand it was/is a remarkable motorcycle.
                      I had a Fireblade for about a year and a half and the Bandit12 at the same time. Great handling bike, good brakes, good engine above 8k rpm, but below 8k the thing couldn't come close to sticking with the Bandit 12.

I see RF's for sale around here occasionally. $3K seems a bit steep unless it's pretty cherry and low miles.
                      That's a $2K bike in average good condition. They were never popular and demand for them is low.
                      Last edited by earlfor; 07-02-2014, 09:53 PM.
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

That's kind of what I was thinking on the price. Looking around at other sport bikes on Craigslist, I can get newer and sometimes less miles for less money.

Comment

Or, you can go older and build a beast of a sleeper.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

You make a very compelling argument

Comment

Working...
                            X