Gt750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gt750

I'm new to 2 strokes and am going to go look at a "76" gt750.

Assuming it will need crank seals, how hard are they to do and if its leaking, Can I assume the crank has damage to it.

Been reading up today on them and have concluded from the pic of the bike. It has an earlier radiator, original exhaust appear good, missing airbox, and wrong headlight and side covers.
    Finding a seat on ebay seems to be a task, but everything else, I have found.

the ad:
    "Suzuki GT750 "waterbuffalo","tea-kettle". This is an original 750cc two-stroke water cooled tripple .Engine is from a year earlier and will kick over. Under 5000 original miles on the engine. Cylinders have good compression (110psi for the outers and 90 for the center). Everything is there except the side covers and the front forks have been replaced with a 70's Suzuki super bike w/ dual discs (as properly needed). I really love this bike but it's not fitting in the restoration schedule and we're selling our house. Hate to sell as this was my dream restoration but have to. I have two full sets of carburetors. The side panels are from a later model. Have title. Also have some paperwork about the factory racing tuning specs for custom made expansion chambers, head squish, piston, and cylinder porting. Would love to see it go to a great home. Cheers!
    "
    1984 GS550ES
    Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
    4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

I know nothing of these, but I really want to hear this one run if you end up getting it.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

i really shouldn't even go look at it. Too many projects in the que, but it is local and i have a hankering for a 2 smoke.
      1984 GS550ES
      Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
      4700 miles

Comment

Motor looks like its a 72 or 73. Later years had "liquid cooled" emblem on cylinder.
        http://www.suzukicycles.org/GT-series/GT750.shtml

There are a few shops that everyone uses to have the crank rebuilt.
        For more info check out the Suzuki two stroke forum:
        http://www.suzuki2strokes.com

Comment

thanks for the info. Missed that detail on the motor. Its definitely a mish mash of parts. I'm starting to think its an early frame with later bits sprinkled about.

Yea, bookmarked that site as its easier to navigate than the tea kettle site.

Edit: just sold before I got there.
          Last edited by Mista M; 07-08-2014, 06:47 PM.
          1984 GS550ES
          Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
          4700 miles

Comment

This article will be of particular interest to you then!!!

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Leak down tests are best for 2-cycles. Crank seals require full disassembly of the bottom end. If the seals are shot, it may have no damage, they could've rotted while sitting. Redneck test is to get it running and see if it's getting lean. Just be easy on it, and you won't hurt it. If it was run hard with bad seals, yes, damage may have occurred. Generally they leak enough you'll know at idle, very erratic, and jumpy lean throttle response.

Comment

Having owned a '76 GT750 more than 30 years ago, I'm pulling for you to get it! Sorry I can't help with the technical questions, but I really enjoyed that bike... it's got a nice strong power band that feels like a sling shot, and it'll leave a tell tale trail of blue smoke when you open it up! My '76 looked pretty much like the stock pic, but with a sissy bar and with more two stroke oil on the back wheel! ... Good luck!

Last edited by knotscott; 07-10-2014, 04:39 PM.
                '79 GS750 - 4th and current ride...first since 1983
                '73 CB350 - 1st ride
                '76 GT750 - 2nd ride - the "water buffalo" - sold to buy an engagement ring
                '79 RD400F Daytona Special - 3rd ride, the last of the street legal US 2-strokes - sold to buy a house

Comment

I bet most of the oil smoke trail will be gone with newer oils technology. The mix shouldn't have to be as rich, and they weren't that bad anyway.

Comment

Correct. Motul 8002T is my favorite. Smoke on accel is generally a sign of rich jetting anyway. Puffs on decel are good.

Comment

The Suzuki Posi Force lubrication was superior to the Yamaha Autolube, or so I read in the day. I got about 600 miles per quart of oil on my bought new RD400 in the day.

I rode it long distances most weekends when I had it, and keeping oil in it was an issue. I used Yamalube when I could get it, but on Sundays, far from home, I found that most grocery stores had Castrol 30 wt 2 stroke oil, and I ran that.

The one I have now is set up much smokier, and uses far more oil.. Still, it only smokes when cold.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                      X