Slip-ons and Re-jetting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slip-ons and Re-jetting...

I just bought a 1997 Suzuki Marauder project. Basically the motor went and the PO gave up on it. Anyhow, I'm going to pick up a stock, used motor from the junk yard. As for the pipes, the old ones are showing their age and I was thinking of getting a set of Slip-ons, leaving the stock headers. I've heard some say that you do not need to re-jet the carbs if you keep the stock headers while other say you do. Any thoughts or personal experience with this?
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

I installed a set of Mac slipons on my 850. Cut the old pipes off and welded a sleeve on to accept the slipons. Did not have to rejet the carbs. Nice thing about the Mac slipons is that the baffles are removable for replacement. I think the only time you have to rejet the carbs is if installing pods.

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
      I think the only time you have to rejet the carbs is if installing pods.
      That's what I've heard.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Depends on the slip ons, and how restrictive they are. The little Harley mufflers you would need smaller jets, as they don't flow very well at all.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've been looking at some from Cobra that are supposed to be freer flowing...but no good info on if any other mods are needed. I'm not going with pods. For right now, the plan is for a stock intake and just a set of slip-ons.
          1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

I have a 550L and need new pipes as these are rusted through and my mileage and sound is horrible. If I bought new slip-ons, where do you cut the pipes after the merge?

Comment

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Also, has anyone out there ever tried to repack the stock baffles? Is it possible if you cut the ends off?

Originally posted by Revjoel View Post
              I have a 550L and need new pipes as these are rusted through and my mileage and sound is horrible. If I bought new slip-ons, where do you cut the pipes after the merge?

Comment

Working...
              X