1998 Harley SS Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 Harley SS Carb

Next weekend I will be in Vegas. Older brother Birthday Party. He has a 1998 HD I think 98 cu. in. engine. Anyway, he has a S&S carb. When he starts it, it rev's to about half throttle. Not the cables. Not the choke. Anyone have an idea about what would cause this? Thanks Mike
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

they have a butterfly to regulate incoming air ..it would have to be opening for the bike to rev up.
    pull the filter and look down the throat..that should tell the tale.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      they have a butterfly to regulate incoming air ..it would have to be opening for the bike to rev up.
      pull the filter and look down the throat..that should tell the tale.
      Thanks, My brother drives a truck long haul. This bike sits a lot. He said there was no gas coming out the fuel pump jet, the one you can see spraying toward the butterfly. With the air cleaner off.
      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Sounds like a air leak someplace.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Tell him to dump that S&S carb. It's too much carb for most of the engines it's on. Alot of them don't have an accelerator pump. Dump it and get a Mikuni or a Bendix.

Comment

The S&S Carb

I was watching some videos on Youtube trying to learn about the S&S carb. Some have fuel pumps and some don't. I thought all harley guys loved the S&S. I had a 1980 AMF Electra Glide I bought new. It had a Mikuni no problems had it for 12 years.
            [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

super B and D has no accelerator pump.
              super E does.

Comment

The ldle adjustment screw was bent. Could not adjust it to ldle down where it needed to be. I think somebody had too many beers when they tried to work on their carb. Anyway, Cleaned it replaced the screw runs like a champ.
                [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Working...
                X