Need Speed Triple Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Speed Triple Info

Gents, I saw a 1996 Triumph Speed Triple on CL for $1,600. Here's the ad (with edits)...

00L0L_iPQtyx2SY5t_600x450.jpg

This is my 1996 Triumph Speed Triple 900, one of the most trend-setting motorcycles built.
    I have a Micron performance exhaust installed, new K&N air and oil filters still in the box and have never had a major problem with this bike. There's an almost unnoticeable small dent in the tank and some scratches here and there, but for the age the bike is in great condition. Start her up and she's ready to go. Clean title in hand and ready to take you wherever the road leads you. ... it will need a better repair or a tire replacement. I've lowered the price to account for that.

I've priced the bike far below book value - even a couple hundred below trade in value - to account for the little things here and there, so my price is firm. No joyrides - must have cash in hand. I will remove the posting when it's sold. Also, I am not interested in trades at this time.

A brief walk-around video: http://youtu.be/s2ZL2IK8WHA

I have some questions.

1. The bike is 18 yrs old. How do these Triumphs hold up? Any known issues?

2. Is 32k miles a problem? How long, given average use and proper maintenance, can these bikes go before needing refurbed?

3. Is there a bar riser available for this bike? The riding position is a little leaned over. I prefer a standard sitting position. I also like to go on rides over 200+ miles in a day. Is the bike comfortable enough for that or is a short, quick jaunt kind of bike?

4. What about the cost of parts and upkeep for a Triumph?

Any other thoughts, concerns regarding this particular bike? thx.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2014, 01:12 PM. Reason: add another question

Can't say i know a lot about them but i do remember reading about starter clutch or starter sprag problems that were eventually fixed.
    I think they look and sound great.
    $1600 sounds like a good deal.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

i looked at one years a go and it had a water pump leak...i passed.

Comment

Sold! Sold! Sold!

Comment

Low prices speed triple don't stay on the market long- none of them really do.

Comment

If you want an upright seating position, you want a Sprint, not a Speed Triple

Lots of 90's Triumphs on the road around here
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Big T: You make too much sense. The problem is that I don't recall ever seeing a Speed Triple for as low as $1,600. There isn't another on CL within a good radius of my location. All the Sprints that are available are in mid $2,000 range unless there is some problem. That's now in Bandit 12 range. The price is what initially caught my eye. Also, the later Speed triples (T509 series) mounted handle bars on top and look like they will accept bar risers. This would be a big help. But the first gen 3s (T309) are mounted underneath and that makes me think they won't accept a bar riser. In the end, this would most likely become a problem for me. So if there is a way to mount a bar riser to a 1996 Speed Triple, this would eliminate one of the cons from my list. So I will probably deliberate until it's sold and then blame my wife for not allowing me to pull the trigger. That's how a real man does it.

Comment

Get on triumph rat or triumph torque for more info. They both are good knowledge bases. I recently picked up a 99 daytona 955
                1984 GS550ES
                Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

Originally posted by winfield View Post
                  Big T: You make too much sense. The problem is that I don't recall ever seeing a Speed Triple for as low as $1,600. There isn't another on CL within a good radius of my location. All the Sprints that are available are in mid $2,000 range unless there is some problem. That's now in Bandit 12 range. The price is what initially caught my eye. Also, the later Speed triples (T509 series) mounted handle bars on top and look like they will accept bar risers. This would be a big help. But the first gen 3s (T309) are mounted underneath and that makes me think they won't accept a bar riser. In the end, this would most likely become a problem for me. So if there is a way to mount a bar riser to a 1996 Speed Triple, this would eliminate one of the cons from my list. So I will probably deliberate until it's sold and then blame my wife for not allowing me to pull the trigger. That's how a real man does it.

it sold yesterday :O

This posting has been deleted by its author.

(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)

Comment

The newer ones accept lots of bar risers or any 7/8 you want to mount the older ones are easy to raise with generic clip ons.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      it sold yesterday :O

This posting has been deleted by its author.

(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)
                      The listing is still there at 9 pm on Sept. 30 so unless you bought it, there is no indication that it is sold.

Mista M: thx for the web sites.

Bluewool: thx for the link to clip ons.

Comment

i went off of your original utube link...it had a CL link posted...clicked it and it said add was deleted.

new ad...found it.

Last edited by blowerbike; 09-30-2014, 10:11 PM.

Comment

It was listed previously at a higher price. I can't recall what it was but I remember seeing the bike and not considering it because of the price.

Comment

Working...
                          X