Yamahas - 83 XS650, 83 XJ550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamahas - 83 XS650, 83 XJ550

Well, had a customer purchase a slave cylinder rebuild for an old shadow and continue calling about a week to complain about his un-bleedable clutch. In frustration I went to where he was at and bled said un-bleedable clutch. Well afterwards the gentleman's father (maybe grandfather) came outside to thank me and fuss at the customer for not listening to him. The older fellow then asks me if I'd have any interest in an old Yamaha and a "heritage". In my endless ignorance I then tell him "I have no interest in a Harley as they're *********************************************, but I'll look at the Yamaha". Well, turns out he has a little 83 XS "Heritage Special", and an 83 550 Maxim. I've always wanted a little XS650 to tinker on, and the XJ is relatively unharmed (compared to what some of the bikes I've owned were).

I'm considering purchasing both units and post here today to ask if there might be anything ya'll know that I should know beforehand.

I have the ability and facilities to repair and maintain said motorcycles, and currently have access to Yamaha parts at cost (at least the ones that are still made). Just more or less wandering if either were well known "dogs" or undesirable machines. I see so many custom XS bikes I'm sure one can likely imagine the dreams I have. Is the 83 conducive to said projects? If purchased I'll likely return the XJ to mostly original condition as it's relatively unmolested, and may sell it local if it doesn't steal my heart.

Both bikes are before my time really, and I've never had an XJ or XS cross my lift, so I actually know little of the two. I've spoken with a former coworker who was a Yamaha technician from way farther back than I and he adores the idea of an XS, and recalls the heritage special fondly. The XJ he says was a good bike, but perhaps not the best selling or most exciting model of it's time. The older fellow has an SRX250 but seems emotionally attached to it so I likely won't pursue it. The other two bikes I'm really considering and was wandering: If you were me and they were reasonable would you buy them?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2015, 09:23 PM.

Originally posted by RedBaron View Post
    Yamaha XS650...before my time really...
    The very first bike mag I ever bought was a '69 Cycle World with the Yam 650 on the cover (I still have it somewhere).

"An Electric Starter And One Hell Of A Stopper!" the cover proclaimed.

Wow! A disk brake! The mag also had a piece on a new Harley called the XR-750. I practically wore the pages out with my eyes, and when I turned 18, got my first street bike. Yam the only Jap 4 I never owned, but those 650s were very popular.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I had a 80 XS650 Special. I wouldnt hesitate to get another.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I love the XJs, and I've had 2, and sold them because I only need one bike. The GS1100G has been the ideal bike for me.
        The XJ750R Seca was the more desirable of the 2. Still thinking of finding an XJ1200 someday.
        XJ550R Seca

XJ750R Seca
        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 04-04-2015, 07:26 AM.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

The good news is that neither were dogs. IMHO the XJ was just another Universal Japanese Motorcycle and was pretty good all round but nothing to make it stand out.

The XS was a ground breaker at the time and in the UK it was the bonneville that Triumph should have been building (at the time). The '83 Heritage was pretty much the end of the line for them and while it is still a good investment it won't be as desirable as an early one. I would still have it though.

A friend used to run a XS650 unit in a scramble sidecar outfit. He had it bored out to 880 and running on methanol. An interesting experience if you ever got to ride in the chair.
          The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

I believe I'll make an effort to get them. I'm planning on getting the business I work at off of my boss and I'll be very busy soon, but I believe I'll find time to at least get them ticking and properly store them immediately, then go through them entirely as time becomes available (generally in the dead of winter). I think restoring the old 1100gl engine I have may have just been pushed back a while :/

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't touch a XS650. It defines the words, shake, vibrate and numb. Kind of like riding a paint shaker that turns gasoline into noise.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

They were both good stuff. The XS650 is by now the most sought after bike for the chop crowd except for Harley. There is one forum that alone has over 21000 members. And simple and relatively cheap to maintain to boot. Tough as nails. I've had several. I would not tour on one, as I don't like the vibes above 60. The prices on those things are shooting thru the roof the last 5 years or so. Pristine early models have brought north of 5 grand, and nice ones are starting to run 2000-2500 pretty regular. Even barn finds are getting 800-1000. My son had the XJ550 and it was a great bike, he still regrets selling it.
                Last edited by wymple; 04-05-2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I would definitley get the XS,and the best thing you could do for it is to restore it to stock configuration,
                  too many of these are getting chopped up,and the originals are hard to find,and expensive.

Comment

The more I think about it the more I have considered stock. I think I'd rather have an older standard for tinkering on. Gotta get back in touch with the seller soon, giving him a couple days.

Comment

Working...
                    X