Are Uggs proper motorcycle footwear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Uggs proper motorcycle footwear?

Driving home tonight I was passed by a guy riding an Aprilia while wearing Uggs. I've never seen that before.
    I'm surprised when people wear Uggs out in public at all, let alone while riding a motorcycle.

Not hating Uggs. I own some myself, but would never even contemplate riding while wearing them.

Was out there splitting a few logs last week, nothing serious just a few swings so I didn't gear up in my chopping boots and for the first and only time ever I dropped a 7lb wedge on my toe.
    Last edited by Brendan W; 05-06-2015, 04:45 AM.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

My daughters wore them (actually, Ugg knockoffs) when they were the hot ticket a couple years ago.

The way they are constructed (no ankle support, thin suede leather), one would probably be better off wearing quality high top Nike or Adidas leather basketball shoes than Uggs for riding purposes.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Please pardon my ignorance, but I had to look them up.
        When I saw the home page of their website, I thought "of course not".

Then I saw what might be in question:

And then I thought "how much different are they than what you see so much of the time?"

No, they are probably not "proper" motorcycle attire, but then all the ATGATT guys don't approve of what I choose to wear, so who am I to criticize?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

better than flip flops

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            better than flip flops
            Ah, beat me to it.

Was going to say that in the last country I worked it seemed universally accepted that the flip flop, known and shib shib, was THE approved motorcycle foot ware.

Comment

I wear tennis shoes 90% of the time, haven't lost a toe............yet.
              Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
              87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
              99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
              15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                better than flip flops
                Enclosed flip flops. When you have foot wear on that flys off during a good sneeze, I would say NOT PROPER FOOT WEAR.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Some people respect me for my ATGATT, others think it's overkill. I did wear slip on hiking/running shoes at one time, decided there wasn't enough protection there.

Comment

I think just about all the bases have been covered here. To me they're just a ghastly fashion choice no matter the occasion.
                    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

thing with even tightly laced shoes is they easily come off in an accident
                      I lost a ahem sneaker in an accident once
                      foot a nice and happy
                      foot b very very sad

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
                        Ah, beat me to it.

Was going to say that in the last country I worked it seemed universally accepted that the flip flop, known and shib shib, was THE approved motorcycle foot ware.
                        Was that country Indiana? Well, only for women on the back of a Harley.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

These loafers are what my dad wears riding his Goldwing. His girlfriend was giving him hell, saying the younger generation (me) could teach the older generation a thing or two. I wear my lace up work boots or motorcycle boots. ATGATT
                          Last edited by Charlie G; 05-06-2015, 05:20 PM.
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g
                          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I wouldn't wear those for riding. As close as I come to that are some hiking boots sometimes.
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

've never seen a man wearing. My daughter has gone through 4 pairs at 10. They're really crappy, but she got 2 of them from a Thai student that was at our house. The price was right on those 2.
                              "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Working...
                              X