Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another market segment Honda has identified/is attempting to create?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Killer Canary View Post
    Who's us?
    Again, a guess, but us are old guys that use reading glasses and forego much pop music.

we are gratefully not hip enough for Honda to build this 'thing' for us.

Comment

One word.... YUCK!

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
        One word.... YUCK!
        I try to leave open the possibility that I am missing something and that large groups of people may see value in a thing where I don't.

But yeah, a good argument could be made that this Honda is demonstrably imbalanced, goofy and in a word, ugly.

Comment

Bulldog or bull$hit?
          Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
          87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
          99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
          15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

LTDs L models and Viragos are not ugly...........................

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
              LTDs L models and Viragos are not ugly...........................
              I don't know... Some of those early Viragos and LTDs were roundly panned as being hideous by both the mags and regular people back when they came out. And time has not been good to them either.

The Japanese looked at how many bikes Harley was selling and found it was cheap to take a bike they were already selling, rake up the frame and throw on some buck horn bars, call it a Custom and sell an HD wanna be for cheap.

I remember reading something about needles in eyes in an article about either the LTD or the Virago.

Of course style is fairly subjective. But in this case, eh. But I'm sure those bikes have a good personality...

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
                I don't know... Some of those early Viragos and LTDs were roundly panned as being hideous by both the mags and regular people back when they came out. And time has not been good to them either.

The Japanese looked at how many bikes Harley was selling and found it was cheap to take a bike they were already selling, rake up the frame and throw on some buck horn bars, call it a Custom and sell an HD wanna be for cheap.

I remember reading something about needles in eyes in an article about either the LTD or the Virago.
                When I was up close to a factory custom that went too far, the Kwack VN750 Vulcan. I was looking at it in the dealer's showroom when a salesman sidled up to me and said, "It's nice, isn't it?"
                "Nah" I replied, "It's like a tart's handbag."
                The Vulcan...

My opinion hasn't changed and most of them still look like that, to me.
                Oddly, I'd already been exposed to the earlier factory custom of the XS650Special and found it ok, but promised myself that if I ever owned one I'd ditch the bars, seat and tank. Which I've done.
                The Z750LTD, which I found more acceptable, as it could be easily "de-Ld" as known around here.

Perhaps it's because I grew up with a lot of guys who chopped and modified some dreadful old crap British twins into some very nice bits of kit and created amongst the dross some incredible pieces of urban art (some of it even roadworthy) that I was always going to look askance at 'factory customs' and see them as nothing more than a marketing ploy; as an attempt to cash in on those who wanted the look but had no skills or talent and nothing but a credit line.
                Last edited by Grimly; 06-06-2015, 09:10 PM.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  Coukld it be any uglier?
                  Yes, they could paint all the black, pink, to go with the baby blue frame!
                  1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
                  sigpic
                  My GS550 Build

Comment

I saw a couple of Honda sportbikes the other day it occured to me that I generally find Hondas to be bland.
                    I think the last Hondas i really dug were the Blackbird and the CB 1000 "Big One"
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                    X