Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link to my build is in my signature

here is a link to the manual

no you don't need to create an account to download the document, let me know if it does not work

I have no tranny issues, no motor issues, well no issues with the bike at all and it's a daily ride, I have not even touched the valves and or any other part on the motor, cleaned the carbs was all that was done in relation to the engine
    Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2015, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
      That is an FZ750, not an FZR. Different frames and engines (FZ is air cooled). They made them until 1991, and they made the FZR750 and sold them side by side starting in 1988, IIRC.

Still a nice looking bike.
      Actually all the FZ750s were the 5 valve liquid cooled Genisis engine. The FZR designation I think started in 87 when they went to the full fairing and those models were basically a standard steel framed 750 not much or any different than the 85/86 model except for the plastic. The confusion comes from Yamaha keeping basically the same graphics and model name on the limited production OW series in most countries. I believe there was an OW1 and OW2, not too sure on that. That's where they went to the Delta Box frame more HP and very similiar appearance to the FZR1000. I would not be surprised if they were in fact the same parts. As for the one in the ad it is the run of the mill FZR which is obvious from its appearance. Still a great bike. As someone mentioned about a 2nd gear issue. I think those issues are quite prevelant on a lot of bikes from that era and due to real abuse. I had an 85 that got tortured quite a bit and at 100,000 kms when I sold it, it ran as good then as it ever did. Only repairs other than maintenance and a couple of crashes were a slipping clutch at 80,000 kms and replacing a rust out exhaust system. I label it as the most fun and reliable motorcycle I've ever owned. If it wasn't on the other side of the country and the fact my wife absolutely hated the one I had I'd go look at it. It had the most uncomfortable seat known to man and the pillion was worse than that but I've also been accused of having a cast iron ass by more than one person.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I think second gear issues has been a wide spread Yammie glitch in the 80s affecting just about all models. I know they are also a bug bear in FJ 1100 and 1200 and know of it appearing in even 400 and 650 models.

Engines, on the other hand are bullet proof.

The seat is indeed a tad uncomfortable as is the forward lean to the bars. I found the lean hard on the old back and had been fabbing up raised bars to compensate. many guys even go to installing risers and a euro bar or some such. Ultimately I gave up on the idea and just adapted to the stock setup. Not really comfortable but doable for an hour or two.

Now the mirrors, that is another challenge I find. And this is really odd. On mine, I could just not adjust them to get a good picture so I experimented with mounts and have them now sitting on perches that take them out almost 3 inches from stock. On riding Gkeeper's the stock setup seems fine to me. I just can't account for it. I'm still pondering it and have been thinking of changing to some after market type but am yet to find something.

The FZ is a great bike as we have been saying. There are some great Youtube vids you should check out. I especially enjoy a series of runs through the Swiss alps. Love the sound of that mill spooling up.

Get that bike man......you will not regret it.

cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
          I think second gear issues has been a wide spread Yammie glitch in the 80s affecting just about all models. I know they are also a bug bear in FJ 1100 and 1200 and know of it appearing in even 400 and 650 models.

Engines, on the other hand are bullet proof.
          Not disagreeing but I've ridden with lots if guys on Yamahas of most flavours over the years. Probably a rural/urban thing. What I mean is our bikes don't see a lot if time in 1st and 2nd gear. Out here we could ride all day and only see 1st and 2nd a handful of times in a 500km ride.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Probably a rural/urban thing.
            It could well be but I have heard that from a pro bike mechanic known for his expertise on FJs. Obviously if you are honking around in city traffic 1st and 2nd are going to get a workout more so than the higher gears and I think city riding could cause riders to be harder on the equipment too.

It is likely not going to be a big issue but worth looking at. My own bike came with a "hard to find neutral and glitchy downshift" issue affecting the 1 st and 2nd gears. I ended up changing clutch plates for spares I had. It did resolve it for a few miles but then became a slipping clutch issue which I have not as yet gotten around to sorting.

So it has been awhile and I take it the bike was not purchased?

Update please.

Comment

Bike was sold I called the guy and he never got back to me.

Comment

Oh too bad man. You would have enjoyed that I'm sure.

Comment

Sold? Too bad.

1979 GS1000

Comment

The guy who wanted it, bought it.
                    You were so namby-pamby about it…
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I called the guy the day the ad was posted and was told he would call me back.
                      So Um get a life

Comment

Working...
                      X