Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

91' CBR600 F2 5th and 6th gear problem, Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91' CBR600 F2 5th and 6th gear problem, Question!

Hi guys, i am helping a friend fix a bike that has been sitting. Bike has a slip on otherwise completely stock set up. I cleaned the carbs by disassembling them and taking all the needles and jets out, made sure all holes were not clogged, used compressed air and carb cleaner etc. replaced fuel lines, filter, and spark plugs. it didnt even idle before and hardly started. Now: It lights right up as soon as you press the starter every time, the charging system is working good.

so my issue/question is:

1st, 2nd, and 3rd, 4th gear pull STRONG without ANY flatspot's whatsoever from beginning to end, the bike idles like a charm. As soon as you hit 5th i get some bogging and surging, and 6th gear it hardly runs. By bogging and surging i mean you can hold the throttle in any position and it will suddenly lunge forward and then halt as if its got a real bad A/F ratio going on. I mean i am 99.9% positive its A/F problem in other words something with the carbs. I am boggled because why wouldn't any of these symptoms happen in 1-4th gears? I mean you cannot even induce the bogging if you tried to in the first 4 gears... why would it only do it on the higher gears/speed? Side Note: 6th gear bogs and turns the bike into crap, so once its in this "Crap" mode, when i down shift into 4th or even 3rd, it still bogs and barley runs, the problem only completely goes away when i come to a red light, and start over from first gear etc. SO once again i mean the bike will pull like a bull into 4th and as soon as you shift into 5th and 6th it literally falls flat on its face.

Tomorrow i will go through the carbs again but in the mean time i am really puzzled by this and would appreciate if anyone had any experience, or theories at that. thats for any input guys

edit: fuel filter and diaphrams look good. Petcock functions were tested when the tank was off the bike. i even tried running it with the gas cap open to see if any difference.
    Last edited by GabrielGoes; 07-19-2015, 11:28 PM.
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

Have you tried switching it to reserve while riding or prime if available? The screen may flow, but not enough for running when there is a large fuel demand.

If you have a choke that you can apply when it starts bogging, you can see if getting enough fuel is the A/F part of the problem.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

yes it made no difference. i tried the choke and it did seem to get better, with the choke on. so it looks like fuel starvation. thanks for the pointers
      Originally posted by tkent02
      That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
      John 3:16

Comment

Working...
      X