'86 Cavalcade 1400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'86 Cavalcade 1400

Does anybody have knowledge about Suzuki's attempt at a full touring bike?
    I have an FJ1100 project bike I put on Clist for sale or even trade for a touring bike project.
    I have my '81 1000G, but I was looking for something like a full dress GWing or the like for weekend trips over to the west coast(FL) with the wife.
    A guy close to me has offered up an '86 Cavalcade and will send me some photos tomorrow.
    Says it has around 26K on the clock and will need the seat repaired and the carbs cleaned as it has sat for about a year.
    If it looks anything like this, the wife will love the lazy-boy these bikes have on back.

If anyone knows of issues these bikes had or a reason I shouldn't go this route please let me know.

A nice GK would have been nice, but they don't show up often around here.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

I have not ridden one, but have talked with a couple guys that had one. It was a wonderful bike. If Suzuki had marketed it a bit more than they did (which was not much at all), it might have taken over from the Goldwing as "King of the Road". It had more features (that could also break), more power, better brakes, etc. Not sure about the gas mileage, but it was, overall, a better bike, but nobody knew about it due to lack of advertising.

If this one needs the carbs cleaned, you might want to check to see how easily they can be removed from the bike for cleaning. I have not seen a V-type engine yet that was easy to work on.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

From what I've read so far, they were the top of the class in all aspects, including the cost. At $8 grand new, that was their true demise. Everything that was optional on other makes were standard for the Cavalcade, even air adjustable seats. Limited to only a few years here, but the were offered in Europe till '91. I have a nice sonic cleaner at work that I can use and I just did my 750 Interceptor carbs. I've also worked on a couple of V4 bikes at work, so I'm only concerned on getting them out and back in.

From what I've read the only reason people got rid of the bike was a fear of limited parts. I like to rebuild stuff, so I think I'll be ok there.
      GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Every mechanic I know who has dealt with one says that they are a complete PITA to work on.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Rick is definitely beyond the general garage mechanic, I think, and he already has an Interceptor. For the record, I think they are cool beasts, with ballsy powerplants. I find myself looking at Venture Royales pretty often, so I do see the appeal, and the V motors just PULL.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

In the same vein - any idea of value? There's an '87 LXE locally, asking $2k

Comment

I had one and should have kept it. There was some fairly rare problem with rear wheel lockup because of a plug in the secondary drive that was pressed in and could occasionally fail causing fluid loss. Also, the first generation driveshafts were not real robust and were later replaced with better ones. Any of this stuff would be easily remedied by a decent mechanic (I'm still progressing slowly towards decent.) There is an owner's group but it was an email list the last time I checked in. I can find the links to the problems or you could probably by just googling "Cavalcade secondary plug".

$2K sounds good for the LXE (best model) if miles are not too crazy high. Seems the old hands expected to replace the 2ndary plug, stator, and water pump at 50K miles or so but the engine was supposed to be good for many miles.

Last edited by 1948man; 07-23-2015, 12:33 PM.
              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
              1983 GS 1100 G
              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                Every mechanic I know who has dealt with one says that they are a complete PITA to work on.
                Probably because you have to take half the bike apart to work on anything, but what I've read they are ultra reliable. I have to do that with sport bikes every day, but there are for sure a lot more parts on a touring bike. I've had to get past the body work on a few GL1500 here, so it couldn't be any worse. If I get it, I'll have to address everything the first time and hope for the best, but 26K it should still be in the break in period. Still waiting on photos from the guy and if the skies are clear, I'll try to look at it after work.
                GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Good old General Hand Grenade
                  Ridin' in a motorcade
                  Lookin' for the cavalcade
                  To take him off to war

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                    http://www.billydump.com/cav/download.htm

Good old General Hand Grenade
                    Ridin' in a motorcade
                    Lookin' for the cavalcade
                    To take him off to war
                    Greatly appreciated Jeep, even if I don't get it. I grab all the service manuals I can.
                    GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

The hydraulic lifters in the don't like cheap oil, had one that the owner ran some in it and it developed a ticking that only with some marvel mystery oil ran thru it (factory rep told us to put the mmo in!) would fix. After doing that and running a good bike specific oil in it, it was fine.
                      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I don't know what happened, the other interested party in the trade has been AWOL. No reply, no pics.
                        The search goes on. Maybe a full dressed GK will still pop up.
                        GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

I owned one for a short time,and it ran great,but seemed very top heavy.
                          Parts were getting scares several years ago,also.
                          They were a pain to work on,for anything more than normal service,kinda like my GL1800.

Comment

Working...
                          X