No announcement yet.

78 Yamaha XS750 Triple YEa or nea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the final negotiations is this, $350, in it's running but in of need of a make over condition... Oh and delivered to my house too.

Pics:

Handle Bars will need to go for SURE! I rode it up and down the driveway, The bars are way too goofy. Dirty, needs some sprucing but for the price I can't complain for a good running 750. I'll likely De-"L" (or special) it and try to get it to be a fun run around like the GR I had was... However I think this one will be a bit more fun when done.

Rob, IT's by pure chance I'm looking into getting another Shafty. This one was in the price range I needed.... Plus delivered... Yeah good deal.

Jeep and Chuck, Thanks for the links I'll investigate more when I get a chance.

I read somewhere that 2nd gear is bad on these bikes? I haven't really gone beyond 2nd with this one... Any insight?

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Jedz123; 07-24-2015, 12:21 AM.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Yamahas of that vintage had dodgy 2nd gears. Mainly the bigger, torque monsters like the 1100s.

Is that a Sargent seat?
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

hell yes boy buy that thing
        spit abd polish

Comment

Oh, it's an L. Nevermind.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yea, man. Throw away those handlebars and that's a decent bike. The seat looks great, that's almost exactly what I want for my 850GL.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Or put those bars on your FZ1 ...
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

I had an '80 XS850 Special but pretty much the same as that one you got. Looked nice. I got rid of the bars but it still had L qualities...small tank and step seat. It wasn't the smoothest on the highway unlike the triples nowadays. My XS shafty had the annoying jacking of the rear when getting on it hard so be careful in the corners. But for $350 it will be a cool project.
                Here's my bike when I was 25 yrs old...35 yrs ago. Don't let the date fool you, it's a digi pic of an old Polaroid I had on file...and before I ditched the stock hbars.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2015, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Early bikes had 2nd gear issues. Not a problem if you aren't beating on it. Good engines, lots of stuff is about the same as found on other models. Driveshafts are stone reliable, one of the best. 78 is better than 77, the 850 version had everything pretty well sorted. I ride a 1981 GS850 Suzuki, which I love dearly. I don't see a lot of difference to walk away from the Yamaha. For starters, they had better electrics.

Comment

I was looking for a decent XS750 triple, because it looked a lot like the Triumph Thunderbird.
                    Until I saw my GS1100G for $900.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

It's in!!!!
                      Step one is to remove the bars, Yes the seat is a sergeant seat. More pics to come with better lighting. Fork seals need to be replaced. Bike starts and runs. New battery. I'll need new tires too but for the price I can't complain. Miles are higher at 29K... No signs of primary chain slap. Brakes are in good shape.

Some pics I snapped before coming in for bed.

Better pics to come tomorrow!
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Some pictures of Yamaha XS750 cafe racers on the web look fantastic. I wouldn't think 2nd gear would be a problem today. Any bike that is still running and on the road without showing any problems with 2nd gear either had it fixed or didn't have it. I don't think they all have that problem. I love the sound out of an XS750 with a 3 into 1 exhaust. The XS850 is probable a better bike with a larger engine but the 1977 XS750 looks nicer in my option. When the bike came out, it was compared to a BMW. It also won a bike of the year award.

Comment

The 850 was a better sorted bike, but they used the extra size for torque, the 1/4 mile times didn't move much. Kinda like the 850 Norton was. I wouldn't mind having one of the XS850s at all.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                            The 850 was a better sorted bike, but they used the extra size for torque, the 1/4 mile times didn't move much. Kinda like the 850 Norton was. I wouldn't mind having one of the XS850s at all.
                            ....and they went to electronic ignition instead of 3 sets of points. I had a '77 which was great except at tuneup time.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                            X