Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on tow hitch/rack for MC?

Hey guys.
    So since I'm not a truck owner and I'm looking into options of moving MC's around (mainly for selling and track day purposes) I'm looking into options for moving with my car. What do you guys think of these:

I have a trailer hitch coming in for my car and I was considering getting a single MC trailer... Then I came across this thing...

It looks like it would work pretty well... Anyone have any opinion on these things?

Thanks!
    -Jedz
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

I've never owned or used one, but have read a bit about using one. The 2 biggest problems are the drive chain spinning the engine internals, and awkward maneuvering. The drive chain can always be disconnected, but the maneuvering thing can get tricky...... backing up is one thing, I guess sharp turns up an incline can be another. I think it's from the shorter wheelbase of the vehicle & bike along with the steering stem angle, the bike wants to flop over.

Like I said though, I've only read about them. So I could be way off.

Comment

Dirt bike maybe but a big GS might tweak the forks. Thats a hundred bucks ? Ive seen a $200 trailer at harbor freight that I would feel better about moving a bike around on. Should be small enough to hang on the garage wall. Then you could move more than just bikes. Don't let family know or you'll be moving furniture too.....
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Buy a truck Jedz..quit farting around with cheap azz "trailer" options...it will bite you in the azz!
        Trust me...you will never regret buying a truck. With the amount of moving bikes around that you do....
        No signature

Comment

I found a 1963 Rocket three rail motorcycle trailer for $300. If you have space to store it old ones don't cost much. Two big GSes, or three small bikes, the weight is no problem. There's not really anything to go wrong except wheel bearings so old stuff is OK. I even painted mine so it's all pretty now.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nothing beats an enclosed trailer, but these are nice if you are limited on parking space. I have seen them on CL from time to time:

Kendon Folding Trailer options that fold and stand up to save space for storage of your trailer. No parking space or storage unit needed with our trailers.

Last edited by Vmass; 02-06-2016, 05:03 PM.

Comment

The folding trailers from Harbor Freight are cheap and quite effective. Plus, you can haul things other than the bikes when you need to.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I have used one of those hitch haulers in the past, never again.

I used to own a folding trailer. Used it to carry a bike. Never again.
                The folding mechanism and its support are NOT up to the loads generated by the weight of a bike.

The Kendon trailers are relatively nice, but VERY expensive.

Comment

Yeah, better to stick with a 1963 Rocket.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                    Buy a truck Jedz..quit farting around with cheap azz "trailer" options...it will bite you in the azz!
                    Trust me...you will never regret buying a truck. With the amount of moving bikes around that you do....
                    The thing is Trev I don't want to buy a truck that I put maybe 2k miles on a year... That's a big Maybe too... Last year I put 3K miles on my car, I just ride my MC's much more often then my car. So having a truck and a car seems like allot of big bucks that I could rather save then instead of spending... Doesn't seem logical to spend a minimum of $5K for a truck that Ill rarely use. (I move a MC on average 2 times year). Sure If I hit the track AND LIKE IT. Ill likely venture down the sprinter/panel van route anyway. But for what I need now a simple trailer will make do... But thanks for the 2 cents!

Thanks for the input guys! The Yaris has a towing capacity for 1 bike however my next car/SUV will have a larger engine making towing multiple bikes more of an ease. I'm looking for something I can transfer or use from one car to the other... I'm going the car route for my new job position at work requires I have a car... Buying a big truck is a PITA to maneuver around campus plus I occasionally transport members of the administration team... A car is just a better vehicle for that. My mileage in a cage will go up this year (it has already) so Fuel economy is always on my mind...

Ill scratch this tow hitch rack... Look for something along the lines of a Rocket... Thanks Tkent. Ill also bang around Harbor freight too...

Thanks again!
                    Last edited by Jedz123; 02-07-2016, 11:10 AM.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

If you are good at welding and such a stout one rail motorcycle trailer should be easy to fab up. Used motor home axles are cheap and way overkill for such a light trailer. Or get a retired Uhaul or something and rebuild it into what you want.
                      Don't know the laws in Vermont but it's not hard to register a home made trailer in most places.

But yeah its probably easier to find one for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        If you are good at welding and such a stout one rail motorcycle trailer should be easy to fab up. Used motor home axles are cheap and way overkill for such a light trailer. Or get a retired Uhaul or something and rebuild it into what you want.
                        Don't know the laws in Vermont but it's not hard to register a home made trailer in most places.

But yeah its probably easier to find one for sale.
                        My Buddy is a welder... He built a boat trailer from scratch, just needs to pass a one time inspection and its good to go... I see some trailer frames for sale on Harbor freight. May end up going that route and building a custom deck for a bike or two...

Thanks!
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

You reminded me, I used a Sears boat trailer for a light aluminum rowboat or skiff to tow my first GS 550 across the US from South Carolina to Washington a hundred years ago. I shortened it a few feet, the bike tires fit right into the trailer frame which was an I beam on it's side. Very easy conversion, and it was free... Even with a normal boat trailer with a square tubular frame it would be easy to put a channel for the tires on top.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                            The thing is Trev I don't want to buy a truck that I put maybe 2k miles on a year... That's a big Maybe too... Last year I put 3K miles on my car, I just ride my MC's much more often then my car. So having a truck and a car seems like allot of big bucks that I could rather save then instead of spending... Doesn't seem logical to spend a minimum of $5K for a truck that Ill rarely use. (I move a MC on average 2 times year). Sure If I hit the track AND LIKE IT. Ill likely venture down the sprinter/panel van route anyway. But for what I need now a simple trailer will make do... But thanks for the 2 cents!

Thanks for the input guys! The Yaris has a towing capacity for 1 bike however my next car/SUV will have a larger engine making towing multiple bikes more of an ease. I'm looking for something I can transfer or use from one car to the other... I'm going the car route for my new job position at work requires I have a car... Buying a big truck is a PITA to maneuver around campus plus I occasionally transport members of the administration team... A car is just a better vehicle for that. My mileage in a cage will go up this year (it has already) so Fuel economy is always on my mind...

Ill scratch this tow hitch rack... Look for something along the lines of a Rocket... Thanks Tkent. Ill also bang around Harbor freight too...

Thanks again!
                            I owned a pretty new Mazda 3 when I bought my truck for $3200....it wasn't long before I sold the Mazda as I realized the truck was more practical....as I am rarly in a cage myself. The truck get crappy mileage but I don't care because like you I only put on 3000 miles a year. Are you a home owner? Because having a truck is amazing. Another question..if you are only doing 2-3000k a year in the car...why the Yaris??
                            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                              I owned a pretty new Mazda 3 when I bought my truck for $3200....it wasn't long before I sold the Mazda as I realized the truck was more practical....as I am rarly in a cage myself. The truck get crappy mileage but I don't care because like you I only put on 3000 miles a year. Are you a home owner? Because having a truck is amazing. Another question..if you are only doing 2-3000k a year in the car...why the Yaris??
                              Issue with $3000 trucks in my neck of the woods is corrosion of the body and wheel joints/bearings... A truck that will last awhile here unfortunately totes a big price tag :/. Not a home owner... Yet. We live in a family house that we may or may not buy...

I bought the Yaris for when I worked at Sbarro I often had to rack big miles to support multiple locations. Good on gas, reliable, cheap and great for hauling POS equipment, inventory and training tools. It wasn't uncommon for me to drive a minimum of 120 miles a day for work. The car has 130k miles now, 110k of my miles... However since I started at the college The car just doesn't rack the miles it use to. I finish up paying it off in a few months... At that point I'll be selling it. I use it for my job but I really don't like it... Time for something nicer!
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                              X