82 GPz for $1700, decent price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How quick can an idiot trash a GS?
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Posted this on the Vintage Kawasaki Trader page on Facebook and a guy in Oregon has purchased it for another friend overseas in the UK. Another one heading across the pond.

[/QUOTE]
      Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
      87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
      99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
      15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Forget GS's , now we're talking ! Did someone mention '83-4 Gpz 1100 DFI's ?? Here's my 9100 mi. oem restored '84

'06 HD Fatboy
        '84 GPz1100

Comment

I had a buddy with an 1100 GPZ. We ran each other a half dozen times, me on my GS1100 EZ. I outweighed him 30 lbs and it was a wash between us every time except twice when his shifting got hung up between gears. He said it happened pretty often, right out of the box, and it was common on those. Only on full out use.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
            Forget GS's , now we're talking ! Did someone mention '83-4 Gpz 1100 DFI's ?? Here's my 9100 mi. oem restored '84

Looks KILLER!
            It's all about that fairing, that's what I dig.
            Wymple, missing shifts and getting false neutrals, that's just technique with the olde bikes. I used to get them all the time on my GS1100G, don't anymore.
            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 03-04-2016, 07:06 PM.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

My 1984 KZ1100R, (not available in USA), has that motor, only carbureted, I've never had any issues with the transmission, always rock solid and smooth.
              IBA# 12860
              Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
              1984 KZ1100R
              2008 Kawasaki KLR650
              2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                Looks KILLER!
                It's all about that fairing, that's what I dig.
                Wymple, missing shifts and getting false neutrals, that's just technique with the olde bikes. I used to get them all the time on my GS1100G, don't anymore.
                I have to agree with the GPz tranny's feeling very "notchy" with the shifts. My '82 GS1100E shifted way smoother. I don't know if it's got anything to do with the fact that the 83-84 GPz's came with a special HD tranny or not. Kawi built the GPZ's was winning at the drag strip as a primary focus.
                Last edited by Road_Clam; 03-05-2016, 06:57 PM.
                '06 HD Fatboy
                '84 GPz1100

Comment

Originally posted by eddie21 View Post
                  My 1984 KZ1100R, (not available in USA), has that motor, only carbureted, I've never had any issues with the transmission, always rock solid and smooth.
                  A good friend of mine whom owned a Kawi dealer for over 30 years was who sold my my Gpz 11. He also owned a pristine 82 R1 Lawson , and an 83 R2 superbike replica. He unfortunately hit financial hardships and had to sell both bikes a few years ago.
                  '06 HD Fatboy
                  '84 GPz1100

Comment

OK RC... Next North East meet you gotta come and bring one of your gorgeously maintained bikes!
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                      OK RC... Next North East meet you gotta come and bring one of your gorgeously maintained bikes!
                      Will do, Vermont Rally and probably the GPz are on the attend radar. Problem is with the GSXR is i can only ride for about 100 miles max and my legs and arms are JUNK. The 1st gen GSXR tucked the pegs up pretty high and a low "sit in" type seating position. I will be closely watching the NE rides now that i'm done with school !
                      '06 HD Fatboy
                      '84 GPz1100

Comment

Will do, Vermont Rally and probably the GPz are on the attend radar. Problem is with the GSXR is i can only ride for about 100 miles max and my legs and arms are JUNK. The 1st gen GSXR tucked the pegs up pretty high and a low "sit in" type seating position. I will be closely watching the NE rides now that i'm done with school !
                        Good!
                        I'm hoping to spur a ride again with everyone soon!... Get those bikes out!!! Get Ready! 2016 is season is going to be here fast this year!
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                        Originally posted by Hayabuser
                        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Hijacked again by Mr self promoter.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                            Hijacked again by Mr self promoter.
                            Yeeouch. That was a stinger.

I agree with you Bill on the monoshock GPZs (and GSes, for that matter) looking a lot slicker than the twin shock models. But your choices in modding the rear suspensions are the biggest limitations on the monoshocks. You can still get a Hagon monoshock for most of the mid-80s Japanese models, but it ain't cheap. Some have found units off newer models that will fit the older bikes as well.

I like both types very much. If I were looking to race in a vintage class or just have a fun day track bike, I'd go with a twin shock model though, mainly for the suspension choices still available.
                            sigpic

SUZUKI:
                            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Upgrading the rear suspension on a twin shock bike comes with lots of options. Once you get above the Progressive/Hagon standard shock range though the price increases steeply. I believe this is due to the bikes needing TWO shocks. Mono shock offerings on the low end are fewer but you can get a higher end shock with adjustable damping for less money than a comparable pair for a twin shock bike. Check out YSS for example. http://www.yssusa.com/products_yss.html
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ok, would it be too weird or crass to put the GPz 84-85 front cowling on an 82-83?
                                I like the twin rear shocks.

Comment

Working...
                                X