'82 Honda CB900c Burnt Valve.... Info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 Honda CB900c Burnt Valve.... Info?

Does anyone have experience with these motors? We bought this bike cheap hoping for a quick flip but that's not gonna happen... Anyway I'm looking for any info I can get that might help get it back together and running.

Here's the facts: Low compression all the way across with number 2 at O psi. Checked valve adjustments and most were pretty close to spec and none were being held open. So we pulled the head. An exhaust valve on number 2 looks burnt and a few others are pretty gunked up with carbon sootiness. We're fashioning a valve compressor tool right now so haven't removed any valves yet.

The Clymer manual says there is some kind of coating on the valve seats and that they shouldn't be lapped or ground... so what do we do?

The bike itself is really nice. Looks like it's never been down and the only thing missing is the tool kit. Even has good tires. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

If it's like our Suzukis it's going to be easier and cheaper to find a good used head, slap some new valve stem seals in it and ride it another 100,000 miles or so.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'd pull the valves and survey the damage. Then find a real Honda service manual and a Honda forum and get the low down on servicing the cylinder head. The course of action will come out of what you learn.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Clean the head, face the valves if needed, or if not just lap them. The manufacturers ALWAYS tell you these things to get you to BUY NEW PARTS, instead of servicing what you have. No issues with doing them this way, been doing it for years.
        Ray.

Comment

750-1100 16v. chain drive engine's is a bolt in....just food for thought.

Comment

You can bolt the 1100 into the shaftie?
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              You can bolt the 1100 into the shaftie?
              scratch my post...thought it was an F model....OOOPS :O

Comment

While you are there, check the piston rings also.
                Could you show us, the plugs?
                GS1000G '81

Comment

Eli, an excellent, active site for those bikes is www.cb750c.net
                  Genesound is a moderator and top end wiz there.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks GSR. I'll put up some pics soon. The plugs were pretty black and sooty. The plan is to do the regular stuff - top end overhaul, carb dip, electrical clean up, etc. We're gonna check the pistons and rings out, if they're in spec we can put them back in... fingers crossed. Cylinders look good so far.

Rhetorical question... Why the ffff does this bike need a hi/lo range transmission? Also, we're wondering if it was run in high gear and low rpm too much causing all the carbon build up. A previous owner may have felt uncomfortable winding it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                      A previous owner may have felt uncomfortable winding it out.
                      That makes a lot of bikes and old cars with small engines run bad. Can't imagine riding a motorcycle that way, but I have known guys who did. Even knew a few who had no idea it made more power up near the redline. One guy wondered why he could never keep up even when we traded bikes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Anyone who learned on or rode Harleys do. Lots of torque and a low (relatively) rev range teaches you to use the bottom of the tach.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with these motors? We bought this bike cheap hoping for a quick flip but that's not gonna happen... Anyway I'm looking for any info I can get that might help get it back together and running.

Here's the facts: Low compression all the way across with number 2 at O psi. Checked valve adjustments and most were pretty close to spec and none were being held open. So we pulled the head. An exhaust valve on number 2 looks burnt and a few others are pretty gunked up with carbon sootiness. We're fashioning a valve compressor tool right now so haven't removed any valves yet.

The Clymer manual says there is some kind of coating on the valve seats and that they shouldn't be lapped or ground... so what do we do?

The bike itself is really nice. Looks like it's never been down and the only thing missing is the tool kit. Even has good tires. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                          Another good information source for the 16 valve Honda engines of that era is www.cb1100f.net . Although dedicated to the chain drive bikes, most of the engine info is applicable to both the chain and shaft driven bikes. You can download the Honda shop manual for your bike there as well.

Thanks GSR. I'll put up some pics soon. The plugs were pretty black and sooty. The plan is to do the regular stuff - top end overhaul, carb dip, electrical clean up, etc. We're gonna check the pistons and rings out, if they're in spec we can put them back in... fingers crossed. Cylinders look good so far.

Rhetorical question... Why the ffff does this bike need a hi/lo range transmission? Also, we're wondering if it was run in high gear and low rpm too much causing all the carbon build up. A previous owner may have felt uncomfortable winding it out.
                          When Honda decided to build the shaft driven, custom version of this bike, they used an existing engine (CB750F & CB900F SS) and an existing drive system (GL1100 Gold Wing). They had to get the engine output (left side) over to the right side (splines on rear wheel). Since they had to go through two 90o turns with space in between them, in typical Honda fashion, they filled that space with a hi/lo linkage.

I was consulting/assisting a friend in his search for a large displacement, comfortable bike for two-up weekend trips a few years ago. We found a very nice, roadworthy '81 CB900C listed for $1500, and wound up getting it for $1,200. It had 19,000 miles on it, I believe.

I did all the usual stuff to it, and we mounted a windjammer on it I had removed from my GS1000G. Now, five years later, he still rides it regularly and has over 45,000 miles on it. It's smooth, comfortable for all day riding (swapped out the handlebars, of course) and he gets about 50 mpg cruising two laners at 60 mph in hi-5th gear, with his wife on the back and soft luggage.

Good bikes.
                          Last edited by Griffin; 04-09-2016, 12:44 PM.
                          sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Here's something I learned at a friend's BMW repair shop.
                            A customer brought in a relatively nice R1100RT that had always run great but had lost power and was running poorly "all of the sudden".
                            It had low compression on one cylinder and almost none on the other.
                            It turned out the owner had dumped a can of Seafoam in the tank "just to help as it had been sitting a while".
                            He was out riding, missed a shift, over revved the engine, knocked some carbon loose from the combustion chamber that ended up caught in the valve seat, hence, no compression. The heads were pulled, the valves were re-seated and no permanent damage was done.
                            Just a thought.......

Comment

We got a chance to pull a couple valves tonight. Here are pictures of the one that was clearly damaged. Exhaust cylinder 2, valve 2:

The other valve we pulled had a glassy looking seat and was very carbon encrusted. It seemed to clean up well though. I think the valve oil seals are pretty bad. I think it was burning a lot of oil.

I'll pull all the valves next chance I get and clean them up. Probably post another picture or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X