Other bike fever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other bike fever

I can't shake this feeling that I want to take on an "other" bike project.
    Currently looking at an 87 Kaw Concours (ex condition, 1500$, a rider, not a true project) and an 82 Honda cx500 Turbo.(2000 miles, $700 , but no title on the cx, good shape but needs gone over) I always vowed to never buy a Honda cx because it has the ugliest engine ever built but its covered by that beautiful fairing and side panels.
    Ugh.....bike lunacy.
    Maybe I should just pay the mortgage. You know what I'm sayin!

Yup...

I'm always in constant turmoil... One day I'll want something to cruise on the next something to move fast on... Something will of course need to be modified to my liking... then the proverbial "squirrel" crosses my path and I'm on to another bike... The Concours has stuck, I love that bike. I also love the GS650 but I'm thinking of how I can improve on it (forks and engine and tires...) Which then makes me wonder should I get a different GS? Likely won't the 650 is a perfect size and with a bit more squeezing more then enough power for it's size and stature.

As for the third? I have no idea... Part of me is telling me to let go and forget it... 2 is enough... The other part of me is like 5 is ok. I hear where your coming from.

I'm currently on the prowl for a sport/ sporty bike. Something I cam romp on and not have to worry about low-sliding it into a ditch... Went down the cruiser road. Not my favorite path. But you get to know what you like and what you hate after you put some solid saddle time on different bikes. I do that through flipping, swapping, selling and buying "projects". It's my hobby, I can afford to do it so I say your fine and go for it! it's when it becomes a money pit that you have to look at your situation and say NO.

I'm also half tempted to bring a brand new bike into the fold, especially after all the demo rides I just did. Test rode that FZ-09 and that engine is stellar, by far one of the best all rounded Mills I've ever gotten a chance to run on. I would likely walk down the XSR route. However the FZ-09 felt better underneath me and it's cheap bikes now can be found in the $6K-$7K range... I would love a go at a GSX-S1000. I hear that for $10K is one of the best bangs for your buck on the market right now... Walk away from the FZ-09. But an FZ-10... Need to try that out too.
    Last edited by Jedz123; 06-19-2016, 04:03 PM.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

There are all the usual factors to consider: Finances, insurance, bike's condition, need (you really need it??), mechanical ability, parts availability, how complete your tool set is, family responsibilities, etcetera, but there's one factor that governs them all:

Garage space.

Of course, if you could find one that looked like this, there wouldn't be a question.

I never thought the engine was ugly; once they switched away from the bright Comstar wheels, it went downhill cosmetically. That, and the fact that its trouble-prone stator was also its ignition system and required pulling the engine to replace, kind of steered me away.

and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

This guy.....oh mama!

download.jpg
        Not the actual bike I'm looking at.

Comment

Here is the one that is on display at the Barber Motorcycle Museum:

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think Comstar mags are ugly. The cylinders had that odd angle, the gas tank was horrid.......plus I'm not not a big lover of a ton of plastic faring, although both the Goldwing and Pacific Coast were OK.

Comment

Well not like anyone really cares but the Concours seller continues to not respond (I wasn't feeling firm on that bike anyways and the compulsion has passed).
              The 500 Turbo is in worse shape than the pictures showed and come to find out the title situation is no good too.
              Keep sniffing around and something will pop up someday.

Comment

I've been seeing A LOT of cheaper Concours's for sale lately, I think they are great bikes for the money!

Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Maybe you should think about the kind of bike you want.
                  Looks like you're looking for a big (not giant) road bike, from the quirky mid 80s.
                  If that's the case I'd just say I think the mid 80s Honda Sabre is a way cool quirky techy look road bike.
                  Prices for nice examples are below $2000.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Agree with Bill, I have restored half a hundred V65 Magnas over the past 10 years, and a handful of big Sabres, they are pretty much the best "bang for the buck" 80's muscle bike you can buy. Nice examples in the 1000-2000 dollar range all day long, if you are patient, you can get them for next to nothing. I just paid a grand for this one about 3 weeks ago, 38K miles, runs like a Swiss watch. 6 speed, shaft drive, liquid cooled, digital readouts for temperature and gear position, really smooth and powerful bikes, will cruise all day long at 4K rpm at 80 mph.

Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                    87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                    99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                    15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Ah, those V65s are so damned cool-but then, the CX500 (and the 650) Turbos are pure classic. I worked for a guy who had one and a CBx, and now I work with a fellow who is restoring his CX500 Turbo. Just damned cool.

I think the perforated Comstars are awesome looking.
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
                        I've been seeing A LOT of cheaper Concours's for sale lately, I think they are great bikes for the money!

http://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/5653538212.html
                        I saw a ZG 1000 very similar to that near me recently. A few hundred more I think but they are sharp!.
                        That's awesome you are in the Sabre. They are high on my list of "wanted". Big , bold and strong. My favorite combination is the red black and silver one followed by the blue and black one. I think some have round headlights and some have rectangle, either way they are great looking bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          Ah, those V65s are so damned cool-but then, the CX500 (and the 650) Turbos are pure classic. I worked for a guy who had one and a CBx, and now I work with a fellow who is restoring his CX500 Turbo. Just damned cool.

I think the perforated Comstars are awesome looking.
                          I don't mind the Comstar mags, especially the gold ones on the Turbo models. The rims on the one I'm looking ato are shot, as in bike was sitting in 6" of mud and dirt for 15 years. The rims are powder.
                          If the bike was 2-300 I would take a gamble and buy it and turn it into a custom build or part it out.

Comment

"need (you really need it??)"

I can't believe you think this should come into consideration.

Comment

Sucks about the 500 Turbo. I owned a GPz 750 Turbo for a few years, and while it was definitely superior in performance, it was not as unique or "cool" as the Honda. A CX650 Turbo is a bike I would truly love to have. Crazy electrical complexity for the time, though ...
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X