Would you buy a Yamaha XS 1100LH Midnight Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you buy a Yamaha XS 1100LH Midnight Special

It was a lovely bike back in the day. I can get a nice one for 1500 bucks.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

I had an earlier (non-special) version of that bike. Stonking motor, terrible handling, a blast to ride, though, and comfortable.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Yeah I figure with those crazy bars its meant to look cool and not exceed 60 or deviate from a straight line.
      Its heavy but not crazy heavy.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

what does stonking mean?
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Stonking = potent-and large.

Mine was the standard version. I had superbike bars on it, did pods, a 4-1 and jetted it, repainted it, re-covered the seat, stainless brake lines, overhauled all the hydraulics. Rode it for two years trouble free. You have to check 2nd gear on them, because it seems every big bore Yamaha of that decade had issues with them.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

The "Special" (Midnight or otherwise) was Yamaha's version of Suzuki's "L" models.

Decent engines, at least as uncomfortable as an "L" and hobby-horse handling.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Suzuki "L", Honda "CUSTOM' Kawa "LTD", & Yamaha "SPECIAL" all after the same crowd, cruisin for burger bikes. "Midnight Special" is black & gold. To me, the Specials didn't feel as heavy as the standard XS 1100. For some reason, the Yamahs shaft drives, under hard acceleration, seemed to lift up the rear of the bike, a lot more than the Suzuki shafts did. Like said, Yamaha is known for weak 2nd gear. I've never heard of, or don't remember the "LH". Possibly a left hand bike for the mail carriers. Just my opinion, from memory, haven't been on one for 35 yrs.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I raced my buddy on mine when he first got an '87 VMax. He wasn't a great drag racer (though he went on to become pretty damned good), and I beat him from one light to another on the XS. He couldn't believe the old beast could go that well. Funny story: Next time we dragged, 2nd gear went screwy on the VMax.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

I have one for grabs in my neck of the woods but 2nd gear is toast...
                  I know this was a common issue with allot of Yamaha's in this era (as Pilot stated) Vmax, XS1100, XS750, Voyager... I know I'm missing some more.
                  So go for a test ride put it in 2nd and give her the beans in 2nd. If she pops out of gear I'd pass...
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

........FJ1100. Mine does it if I'm nailing it, but I just take it easy till third or skip over second if I'm jamming through the gears. If you like the bike, get it. Second gear can be fixed if you really need it. If your not hammering it, it won't jump out. The dogs round out and will jump out if too much torque is applied. Suzuki has been having second gear issues for a decade now with the Busa and M109. The dogs just need to be undercut and then no more problem. M109 involves more than undercutting second and its adjacent gear. The one I did at work need shift forks, rails, drum and second and third drive gears. The PO was holding it in gear with his foot, so more damage was done. About an 18 hour job. XJ, maybe a few hours less.
                    GSRick
                    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

The XS I owned had had the 2nd gear repaired, and it was bulletproof, but few of those big Yamahas retain the original, unmodified 2nd if they're hammered on, and those motors are fun to hammer.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

I had the 1.1S version of the XS1100, looked great, went great, handled.... no. It's a big b'stard but there was some racing success and the wheelies are quite good. The second gear mod is easy enough to do, just swapping a washer on the second gear shaft, but getting to it is a bit of work.

Overall, comforatable with buckets of torques, but doesn't go far on a gallon (US or otherwise).
                        The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

LOL, Cyrano. They seem about on par with my 1150 for mpg.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

The bike has a claimed 40 mpg. Of course that is under ideal careful riding conditions and throttle openings,.
                            1983 GS 550 LD
                            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I only get about 35 or so on the 1150. I don't remember the XS being quite as thirsty as the 1150.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X