Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Pump Wiring Plug GSX1100G ? (PIC)

Hello all, Hope this is right section.
    Wanted to check IF maybe anybody can tell me whether this is plug for my (missing) '93 GSX1100G fuel pump or not?
    (Noticed it last week and got photobucket loaded finally):
    Fuel Pump?

I noticed this plug changing battery, I had accepted the missing fuel pump since the used one's were around $200 and bike runs good except when the fuel tank gets low (so no long trips , yet).

I typed in random "fuel pump" for my bike on ebay and ther's a bunch for $18 (two wires) or $31 (four wires). I Remembered instantly when I read "four wire) that plug!!!
    I was about to shorten the fuel line soon (to see whether it'd help the low tank issue until I saw the cheap fuel pumps)!

Thinking I could test the pins with a multi-tester to check continuity (to something/ have current and when it does)(Neither tester working though).
    IDK, need more study ...
    I'd like to order probably the four pin(wire) pump ASAP, just like some feedback (please)
    Thanks.

*UPDATE*:
    I googled GSX1100G fuel pump pics some more and found some good close-ups of the plug on the pump.

Since I'm hurrying to get as much done before cold weather, I went ahead and ordered the Chinese part from CA. Hoping to get it by friday to install during next weekend, (heading into winter 2 and not nearly enough riding this year ...

I'm Fairly certain it's the wiring connection. (same type plug, short wiring right to where pump goes)

I'm guessing (and HOPING) most likely the stock pump is gone due to failure or damage to the unit itself. This bike had some very primitive/ pre-internet (I'm thinking) mods (stupid improvised fixes).

There's a salvage stock fuel pump off a '91 or'92 for $80 , can't imagine it being more reliable (weathered looking) but normally they've been 160-$200 range.

Wondered whether it will keep up with the RS carb and 140 mains because the remote bottles were getting sucked dry in moments I recall , but I don't think it gets worse than 50-60 LPH. LOL

Anyhow, I'll udate when I get the part see how it goes then.
    Oh, I might start trying to figure how to safely test it before connecting to carb(?)
    Thanks for any feedback in advance!

Comment

*UPDATE 2***

Sheesh, I received the $31 pump yesterday (raining still/no garage), looked OK, no mount (Knew from pics).
      Going to make one tommorrow.

I plugged it together this evening , and switched the ignition, for a split second while holding the pump and the pump was on instantly. (Pumps burn up from no liquid so I just bumped ignition on/off.

THRILLED!!! (didn't know whether wiring intact, missing couple fuses too on fuse block).

Here's the thing (Question), I'm going to study up tonight,
      -no idea IF it will work with my Mikuni RS carb.?
      -Wondering if the stock carb cuts off the pump by switch?, OR the pump has own pressure switch? OR somehow it's a non-issue?

Going to "go for it" tommorrow or sunday and connect the hoses up.
      Have a feeling Gas is going to leak out of the carbs all over the new patio.

OR I'll go for longest ride since got this MC!
      Just "stoked" it even works (wiring and stuff wise).

Thanks ahead for any feedback!

Hope I don't make four replies to my own thread here...But I'll do it, I swear I will!!! (LOL ,Whatever, WTF , a watermelon???)

Comment

I wish I could help, but I don't have a clue. I've got a GSX 1100 G, & still can't believe it has, nor needs, a fuel pump. I wonder what would happen if you just bypassed the pump & routed a line from the tank, straight to the carbs. Doesn't gas flow downhill anymore, aren't the carbs under the tank? I don't know, it's just hard for me to figure how things that should be so simple gets to be so complicated.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          I wish I could help, but I don't have a clue. I've got a GSX 1100 G, & still can't believe it has, nor needs, a fuel pump. I wonder what would happen if you just bypassed the pump & routed a line from the tank, straight to the carbs. Doesn't gas flow downhill anymore, aren't the carbs under the tank? I don't know, it's just hard for me to figure how things that should be so simple gets to be so complicated.
          Actually you could have helped me earlier today, just by removing the left side cover and letting me know couple part locations...Think I have it sorted out now, finally.

Darn four or five days of rain, drizzled and muddy out.
          There's a pocket where I thought the pump went.
          BUT I think it's for an optional shock adjuster (proper term(?)) similar to my pic except mine is a RF900 shock I added and hose clamped to frame.
          Fairly certain just behind where I've mounted the shock adjuster are the two threaded holes in frame for the fuel pump.

I'm going to try and fit my RF900 shock part into the pocket in frame since fuel pump makes no sense there ...(Doesn't make much sense where it goes , neither do the ignition coils BTW).

I studied through the GSX1100F service manual and that model has no fuel pump, AND the coils are located closer to spark plugs , under the tank, on the frame there.

I have been commuting, short distance, and riding short rides with gravity fed/ siphon (or vacuum whichever) no problem, UNTIL my tank is around 2 or 2 and 1/2 gallons low.
          At that point it's like out of gas symptoms.
          (Only occured on warm-up/ starts parked because no long rides, I just run and top it off with a gas can).

My fuel line currently runs from petcock to inline (universal/garden type filter) and then into a brass "T" with two lines into two barbs on the carburetors.
          The two lines are extra long (like a "drip-loop" I call it) hadn't tried shortening them (yet, was about to and noticed pump, will IF pump doesn't work right).

Basically the carbs are NOT "under the tank" from the level the hose from petcock is angled down (filter there makes worse) then the hose (as well as two from "T") rises to reach the two swivel attachments on the carbs. (Hence I call it "drip-loop")

Thought about adding taller rubber spacers under tank in past, but it's a few inches higher needed. (Just not practical...).

Started checking out alternative pump mounting locations (Saturday), googling thousands of pics/ diagrams to find single tiny image showing stock location where I finally figured,
          AND then thinking need 1/4" fuel hose (instead of current stock to 5/16th" ...don't have. Daydreamed about using copper tube, spare line routing incase of pump failure, mounting pump in protective pipe other BS, (Like fuel line routing)
          Going to try today (Sunday).(No babysitting kids alone while working on it too) ...Still daydreaming about how much thinner copper tubing is than rubber fuel hose...
          Thanks for the reply.
          I'll try and update soon, hopefully.

Comment

***UPDATE (3):

Got things sorted mostly. Ran for over 5 minutes. Just long enough to make sure no leaking fuel out the carbs, and the gas wasn't just what was in the line.

Only issues:
            -I had no way to tell input/out , had looked at one pic and first try connected backwards.
            -Think I need to purge the air because the long fuel hose was sort of pulsing ( long because need to route the lines best) ...Thinking maybe the pump is pushing air pocket and that was hitting the fuel (?)
            -Had to relocate the rear shock damper, added air in process and rear shock is higher/ firmer now(Great)

Seemed to run better (probably my imagination).

I just need to shorten the hoses and double check I've routed them good. I have some stainless braided plumbing hoses laying around/had stashed ...going to probably strip them and add over rubber hoses.
            Need/Going to make a mounting bracket too (Probably out of stainless scrap)

There's one metal hanger thing on frame ,under the fuel tank I'd really like to relocate the pump there but probably won't.
            Going to leave a short fuel hose in tool bag incase of pump failure ever too.

I was surprised no gas leaked all over the new patio.
            Somehow it doesn't and no need to know why/ how.

That hose reverse mistake had me wondering about a reverse polarity to purge the carbs of sedentary gas...Added stabil and fresh gas ...Ironic because now I'll be doing highway riding until it gets icy finally,
            WooHoooOO!!!!!

Oh, This poor guy (similar situation) on youtube has similar issue, BUT he thinks the pump should connect to the right side hose on petcock, the Middle hose is where res. or normal exit so he's tapped into wrong one somehow (probably never had stock hose to petcock) I don't have youtube account yet, might get one just to tell him !!!

Comment

Great to hear you've got things figured out. Are you trying to get things put back in original condition, or trying to just get it roadworthy? I don't know your situation, but for sure a Clymer, Haynes, of Factory service manual will be well worth the money. I've been looking for a very small elect. 2lb. fuel pump, I have somewhere out in the garage. The Kawasaki KZ 1300's had a fueling problem that these little pumps took care of. The pump I'm speaking of has a built-in positive fuel shut-off. I've been wondering if the orig. Suzuki pump has this feature, or if the GSX1100G still depends on the old vacuum petcock. Keep up the good work, & a picture wouldn't hurt anything, always interested in seeing what other folks are riding. Good luck.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I was so busy just trying to connect everything and test, didn't realize/ have thinking time until next morning: the floats in the carb bowls will cut fuel flow (Hence NO gas all over new patio (DUH!!!)

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                Great to hear you've got things figured out. Are you trying to get things put back in original condition, or trying to just get it roadworthy? I don't know your situation, but for sure a Clymer, Haynes, of Factory service manual will be well worth the money. I've been looking for a very small elect. 2lb. fuel pump, I have somewhere out in the garage. The Kawasaki KZ 1300's had a fueling problem that these little pumps took care of. The pump I'm speaking of has a built-in positive fuel shut-off. I've been wondering if the orig. Suzuki pump has this feature, or if the GSX1100G still depends on the old vacuum petcock. Keep up the good work, & a picture wouldn't hurt anything, always interested in seeing what other folks are riding. Good luck.
                Thankyou. There's a few pics of this MC of mine Here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...new-bike/page3
                (That's pg. 3 of Ddaniel's post about his).

I've put another passenger peg, and recovered the seat with leather since those.
                Current pic of fuel pump is long fuel hoses that need trimmed and no mount yet (besides a temporary hose-clamp)...
                Went to "get 'er done" today even in the drizzle, but the rain got annoying and then too much to run angle grinder,or drill (to make a mount).

Started right up easy, after one week, The pump came ON with ignition, made some worrisome noises.
                When I turned fuel valve to regular the noise stopped and it seems to run intermittently (as needed I think(?)) while running.

I'm really just getting it ready for my goal of occasional trips to Outer Banks , N.C. (Around 240 miles one-way)...OR if I need to commute to a different job around 1 1/2 hours each way until relocate maybe/possibly.
                Often I think I should've gotten a different bike for those...I believe my goal is "doable" (soon) though.

This one's not an investment, it's my personal MC so no upgrades/ restoration for any monetary motives, just...had no muffler, no fuel pump, no airbox/ two dirty pods, no rear shock, homemade welded dogbones, headlight didn't work/shorted fuses, has jetted RS carbs (were filthy), horrible runny paint
                ripped seat, stuck front caliper,rusty tank with failed bad Kreme job, filthy fluids ...I replaced ,cleaned fixed this stuff, more needed ...keeping it as "back to stock" as possible with performance/cosmetic upgrades as [stuff] permits.
                One of My hobbies is making cutlery/metal work , I'm trying to accent the metals as much as [stuff] permits on this one.

D@mn rainy day, stupid work schedule...! (Could be worse but that'd just be worse...last weekend rain kept flash rusting my gastank faster than could get clearcoated...).

Oh, I cut the end of one plumbing S.S. hose (to slide over fuel hoses) and it wasn't very scratchy...all are FAKE except one maybe good! Urgh! ...smug today .
                I'll post another pic/Update whenever can get this finished... (Funny watermelon, WT...?)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, (too late for "not too long reply" anyway,Dur!) These cheap little pumps would make great "transfer pump" add-on I was thinking, for whatever MC or garage set-up...just run hoses for filling tank from a can or such, they claim like 50-60 liters per hour...
                Last edited by Guest; 10-08-2016, 03:15 PM.

Comment

****UPDATE:
                  Noticed today, when the ignition is switched to "ON" the pump cuts on, then off right away IF the fuel line is full. SO The pump is working as it should. Only problem dunno what will happen if a carb float sticks.
                  MC does run better with the pump IMO. Think it's a fuel bowl full properly reason, not certain.

I Managed to upload and copy three of five pics of today while potobucket crashed computer three times etc.
                  Guess "you get what you pay for" ...LOL
                  Here's the stainless carcophogus I made last weekend (from a scrap stainless sheet off a dishwasher IIRC) and added SS hose sheaths (stripped outer off some scrap appliance SS hoses, Only two were actual metal used one long one cut, slid over fuel hose, just because).
                  Oh, the hose w/ garden filter got routed right next to other (see last pic below) , then loops down (other side of coil) to enter another hose from petcock. Future will have a clear/chrome replaceable inner filter closer to pump...Side note HOPE pump parts don't wind up inside the carb since filter is for tank crap:

(Was bleaching leather AND flash on , LOL ugly hand):hand pic

Pic above shows where I moved the shock damper part since OP, I might do away with the full encased shield and cut it similar to stock. Took longer than planned using two pieces of angle iron, locking pliers and hands and section of pipe similat diameter as pump...there's a wrap of bicucle innertube for shock cushioning ...need to waterproof the end(s) sometime...It's what envisioned, prefer hard tubing in future , Might relocate everything underneath the tank onto I think a airbox mount on frame there...
                  Pic of ? Had five, copied three:

Comment

Working...
                  X