Passed a milestone on the KLR today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passed a milestone on the KLR today

I was out this afternoon doing some back road wandering on the KLR and blew past a milestone without noticing until I stopped.

sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

original unmolested engine?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

685 kit installed 5000 miles ago. The engine was OK but a bit tired. I grenaded the clutch and a complete teardown was needed to clean up the mess anyway so since the labor was already spent I went ahead with the 685 upgrade. Lighter piston, smoother operation, small power increase. The bottom end on these things are only breakable via stupidity.....

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Don't mean any disrespect, but how could anyone ride that many miles on a 1 cyl. bike that is that "UGLY". Isn't it embarrassing to be seen on that thing???.......... Congrats. keep it up
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

It suits me...........

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Yea, I'm torn between a KLR and a DR 650. On one hand, the comparison is "logical." On the other hand, it is apples and oranges.
            Guess I better keep kicking the XT 500 until I decide. That might be awhile........

Comment

By all accounts the DR is more off road capable but the KLR is the better steed for riding 100 miles on pavement to ride another 100 miles off pavement and then another 100 pavement miles back home.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Thats great, congrats on time well spent. At my current rate (this was my worst year ever for riding), ill hit that mark when im 150...
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

That is a lot of miles on a thumper! Congrats!!

Hey, did you see the diesel KLR they made for the military? Totally different engine that will run on diesel or kerosene.
                  Last edited by Burque73; 10-23-2016, 09:26 AM. Reason: misspell
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Those diesel/multi fuel models are very rare outside the military but I have seen pics of a few that were bought surplus.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Congrats-and that's exactly how a KLR should look!
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Love my KLR, more so than I ever thought I would when I bought it. A friend has a 96' I believe, that rolled over 100K recently. I believe other than a clutch and a water pump the engine was still intact. Nothing real exciting about a KLR just fun.

Pat
                        78' GS1000EC
                        79' GS850GN
                        79' GS1000N
                        79' GS1000EN
                        81' GS1100EX

Comment

Working...
                        X