Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on a 1977 Yamaha XS 750 with 1100 miles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad had a Trident for a very short while. He preferred his TR6.

I love the sound of these triples with the right pipe, and that three into three, weight be damned, sounds fabulous.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

I could see why someone might prefer a TR6 or a Bonneville. I've never owned one, but I've ridden them. They steer really well, and have quite a bit of lock. You feel like you are on a Stingray Bike after getting off a far tired beach cruiser. They had good geometry for TT and offf roading too. A Trident had the legs to ride all day and go fast enough without ever straining it, and they were smoother by far. I have had 3 of them, and would have another. They were all sold when my back was broken and my ex wife was pregnant, in '91 or '92. I've owned a couple Commandos, and still do. I want to sell them. I owned a BSA 650 Lightning, and just don't have anything good to say about riding it. It was very pretty the way I had it painted, but it had no real positive attributes really when you were in the saddle. Commandos are my favorite, but they don't have that much steering lock, and that can be a hassle in parking lots and garages. There was also a '68 Royal Enfield 750 Interceptor. It wasn't fast, it had crummy brakes, but it was really fun to ride. It was by the smoothest non counterbalanced solidly mounted vertical twin I was ever on. The Albion transmission was the worst I ever used. The bragged that it had a neutral finder. Well, it needed it. Built a cool cafe racer from a Norton Atlas in the late 70s too. It handled really well. Horrible vibration.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I truly envy you your Commandos. Those are my favorite British bikes of all time.
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Update on the 750...
          Jim, the old blind guy that owns it, tinkered and got it running. He is amazing!
          He has a gift... he fiddled with the brakes, cleaned the tank out ( not good enough), cleaned the carbs... ( need a real rebuild)
          And it fires up instantly and idles OK.
          I agreed to take it for a slow-speed test drive tomorrow.
          Everything works ! And he spent -no- money on it, but a battery.
          1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
          1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
          1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
          Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post
            Update on the 750...
            Jim, the old blind guy that owns it, tinkered and got it running. He is amazing!
            He has a gift... he fiddled with the brakes, cleaned the tank out ( not good enough), cleaned the carbs... ( need a real rebuild)
            And it fires up instantly and idles OK.
            I agreed to take it for a slow-speed test drive tomorrow.
            Everything works ! And he spent -no- money on it, but a battery.
            That's great!

From what I've gathered you can swap out the carbs with ones from the early Hinkley Triumph triples and they are a massive improvement over the old XS carbs.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

They cannot be a "massive" improvement. BS38's are good stuff to begin with. I've had them on all but one of my XS650's. One kick starting, great idle, run fine.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                They cannot be a "massive" improvement. BS38's are good stuff to begin with. I've had them on all but one of my XS650's. One kick starting, great idle, run fine.
                I have no first hand experience but everyone I have heard of swapping these in have been blown away by the difference. Could just be the simple fact that they are nearly 20 years newer and not as worn out as the originals, but whatever it is the improvements have be written about all over the net.
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

So I finally got to be the Test Pilot today!
                  The shaft jacking is... interesting. Pretty good torque.
                  It rides like a new bike, from 1977. I am not impressed. The whole thing feels kinda " cheap and plastic-y " at low speed.
                  I dare not go over 40 with 40 yr old tires, so I can't comment on highway speeds.

He's into the bike for just a battery and a spark plug so far... yes, just one. But it really needs a sync / tune.
                  I think he could get $1500 or more.
                  1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                  1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!

Comment

Such a cool story!
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

He gave me something for helping him out...
                      Attached Files

Comment

At first I thought it was a gas tank, LOL.

It'd be an interesting paint scheme.
                        Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 10-16-2017, 08:42 AM.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Lose the hideous fairing and sissy bar and it would be a lot cooler. Just don't sink too much money into it.

Comment

I just realized I never posted a pic of the final product... because i don't have one.
                            The bike rots in his garage, and after the father did all the work, the son wants to ride it / take all the money from it. ( he never rode a bike before)
                            Not such a happy ending... but I did get his tank cleaned up for him.IMG_5261.jpg

Comment

And... as predicted, this bike is now for sale.

It really did clean up, it looks very nice, but needs our kind of love to run "perfect". I know someone else has already told him "it runs like new!".

Anyone interested? Still only has 1100 miles.

he's out there now, using a table saw to make garden stakes from 2x4s. Yes, the blind guy is using a table saw. And he still has all 10...

Comment

I put it on C-list for him. Every time he talks, his price goes up !
                                I just drove it down his driveway... it really is "like new".

Comment

Working...
                                X