Oil level, 2005 Accord 4 cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil level, 2005 Accord 4 cylinder

Two years ago, I bought a 2005 Honda Accord, 4 cylinder manual. It had 99,000 miles, it now has 133,000. So far, no significant problems. I use the specified 5W20, all synthetic.

My issue is measuring engine oil level with the dipstick. It takes several hours (yes, hours) for the dipstick to indicate correct oil level. It can take a half hour after shutting it off to see anything on the dipstick.

The specified oil change interval is 10,000 miles or one year. Between the last two oil changes, it used less than 2 quarts.

My concerns:

1) When oil takes that long to drain back into the sump/crankcase, how can the oil pump get it and keep pumping it where it belongs?

2) I can't check oil unless I'm stopped for hours on a level surface. If I was actually losing oil, I can't find out quickly, and could damage the engine.

What might the cause be?
    How valid are my concerns?
    What would you do?

Thanks
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan
Working...
X