Considering something European

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering something European

Yesterday I looked at a pretty cool BMW R80RT that had been shorn of its fairings and set up as a sporty standard. It reminded me of the elemental aspects of motorcycling, and I really liked it. I also looked at a K75 standard that was super clean.

Lately, I've been thinking a BMW would make a great garage mate for the slowly coming back to life CB900f. I like the boxers and the triples most of all, and have much less interest in the fours.

A few of you have or have had Beemers. I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

I have never had one, probably never will, but be aware that there are some who think that BMW stands for "Big Money Waster".

My sister had a BMW car for a while. Nice car, but expensive to maintain. Don't know if the motorcycles are any different.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Years ago, a bike dealer told me, a man that rides a BMW, will be a little different. Not trying to be negative, he said nerdy, or extravagant, nothing bad, but just a little different. I've remembered his comment & found he was right.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I had a 2004 RT1150 and put 100K miles on it before trading it in 2014 for my Triumph Trophy SE. The only mechanical issue I had was the stick coils both failed and had to be replaced at about $100 each. Not bad for a bike with that many miles on it. As far as regular maintenance the RT was cheaper to keep on the road than any one of the Wings or Valkyries I have owned over the years. There are a lot of horror stories out there about transmission, clutch, and final drive failures, but I never had an issue. I have a buddy who has a 78 1000 Airhead Beemer which is more towards what you were looking at in the R80RT and he loves the thing.

winter-2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          Years ago, a bike dealer told me, a man that rides a BMW, will be a little different. Not trying to be negative, he said nerdy, or extravagant, nothing bad, but just a little different. I've remembered his comment & found he was right.
          Some years back I'm hanging out at a friend's independent bike shop, with his brother who was a Suzuki regional rep at the time. Both guys had many years experience in the business, at various levels. Another friend (a pretty wealthy guy) was there, and he brought up the idea of us all going in on getting a BMW franchise in OKC, as there was none at the time. The two brothers just bust out laughing, and then spent the next half hour going on with stories about what PITA's BMW owners were to deal with. Basically they said that if you want to deal with a guy who says, "The bike's got a surge, but only on Tuesdays when you're riding in cross wind from the left that's blowing between 14.5 and 16mph. Fix that for me.", then selling BMW's is the way to go. Just as the conversation is winding down, a guy rides up on an R80. Goes to get off the bike and promptly drops it in the parking lot. Comes in and is blaming the parking lot surface. We all had to dive for the back room to keep from laughing in the dudes face. Just a priceless sequence of events.
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Hey, all this is making me want one even more ...

~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

I was never much of a fan, but years ago one did get under my skin.... I was working at one of our customer's homes - a wealty man that we still do quite a bit of work for who is a commercial real estate / construction contractor.
              In one his barns was a late 70s R90s (i think) in black with the sunburst paint and bikini fairing. It was parked on a dirt floor, uncovered, and wore a heavy coat of dust.
              It was so cool. I wanted to take it home.....
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I like Guzzis a lot, too, and if a Quota came my way at the moment I were making a move on a European twin, I could easily grab that. Something about the BMW airheads really appeals, though.

~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

The parts prices for my '96 K1100RS are not bad but not as affordable as old Suzuki parts. BMWs are a pleasure to work but things can seem odd if you never worked on a German vehicle. The "K" bikes (Flying bricks) are quite a bit different from the "R" bikes. Yes, those old R bikes are really nice. Thought hard about getting an old R ('70s to mid '80s), but I didn't want a bike that old. I am looking at some Moto Guzzis, generally, in design terms, they are similar to the BMW R bikes. Can't speak to differences in their ride.

If you want to read more about the old K bikes head over to motobrick.com.

Comment

I've been on motobrick off and on over the years. Gobbled up info on the K75 (my personal fave for the K); but time and again, my interest in the R series returns.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

I love the R's. I was close to buying a little one (65) a couple years ago that was pristine. We just couldn't quite meet on the price.

Here is a nice one: https://westernmass.craigslist.org/m...449753998.html

Comment

Also have thought about getting a boxer.
                        Anyone have thoughts about the sweet point for good lower-cost choices of boxers with fuel injection & ABS?

Comment

I hang with the Euro guys at rallies, I have a Guzzi. All the R80 owners I have met were either changing them into 1000's or planning to. I don't know if that's a big bore kit or a cylinder swap. The bigger setup is just more powerful, especially torque.

Comment

These guys usually have several nice Beemers for sale and a good place to get ideas on prices.
                            Re-Psycle BMW Parts has a huge selection of quality parts and accessories for your BMW Motorcycle as well as a fine selection of vintage classic BMW Motorcycles.

Comment

I am biased because I picked up a 83 R100RS with 13K which had been sitting back in 1990 for $2750. It was a wonderful torquey motorcycle once I rebuilt the carbs with new O-rings etc. Although the RS brings back fond riding memories, I temper those memories with the fact that most R series Boxers either have a lot of mileage or command a premium price today.

I have seen some BMW deals on bikes in the 7-15 years old bracket. Specifically a couple of weeks ago a 1993 K75S ABS with 18K, no bags for $2000. Personally my preference today is to find a R1200RT vs R100RT/RS because the price difference is not too far apart. Moto Guzzi's are another interesting option which I have no experience with and yes BMW parts are more expensive.
                              Last edited by srsupertrap; 02-08-2018, 12:23 AM.
                              1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                              Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X