Suzuki 2-stroke values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki 2-stroke values?

Found a guy that has a GT750, GT550, GT500, GT380, AE100, R5, GS1000 and many more in all states of disassembly/parts. I'm going to take a look this weekend and what I really had my eye on was his GT750. It's mostly there, from the pictures he's sent me I see it's missing the exhaust, front and rear fenders and the gauges are cracked. Beyond that it's all there. No paint left on anything so it's a total restoration project. He said he has some various parts for it lying around including a spare parts engine.

My question is what is the value of such a bike? I know the GT750 brings big money restored but I can't find any projects for sale to compare. He's asking $600, worth it or no? i figure a restoratiom will cost around $2000.

00202_azoKHZerZRR_600x450.jpg

Any comments on the values of the other bikes are welcome, all are for sale.
    The current garage:
    1978 GS750
    1975 GT750M
    1984 CB700SC
    1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo
    1975 RD250 - 350 conversion

Looks like it was fished out of a lake, some where. PASS

Comment

$2k won’t go very far on that project. Some of the guys on the Suzuki 2 Stroke forum might be interested in something that bad because they like a good challenge.
      But the all in cost will be a lot less if you start with a GT750 that’s much better.

Comment

Just to be clear I'm not trying to make money on it. I've always wanted to own a GT750 so as long as I can keep within reason on cost vs value I'm up for the challenge. I'm more or less looking for a reasonable estimate for restoration costs (not including labor) and re-sale value for a maybe 8 or 9 out of 10 restoration.

Edit: The more I look at this one the more I don't really like the condition. I'm still going to meet the guy and check out all the bikes he has. Maybe I'll find something else instead
        Last edited by The1970's; 07-02-2018, 07:53 PM.
        The current garage:
        1978 GS750
        1975 GT750M
        1984 CB700SC
        1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

In this list I see an R5, is this an RE5 rotary? I don't know a thing about the rotary engines, but are the RE5's considered a 2 stroke, a 4 stroke, or something else? If you want a project, go for it, but I wouldn't expect to get the full cost back out when finished. If you just want a nice Water Buffalo, find one already complete, Just my opinion.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The only way to make money on a restoration is if you are being paid to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              In this list I see an R5, is this an RE5 rotary? I don't know a thing about the rotary engines, but are the RE5's considered a 2 stroke, a 4 stroke, or something else? If you want a project, go for it, but I wouldn't expect to get the full cost back out when finished. If you just want a nice Water Buffalo, find one already complete, Just my opinion.
              Nope, I wrote that poorly. It is a Yamaha R5, the predecessor to the RD250's and 350's. I think the RE5 is considered a rotary, and I would place that closer to a 2-stroke than a 4-stroke. Like I mentioned above I'm going to ride down this weekend and check out what he has. I'm don't have high expectations of finding a gem but who knows maybe I'll find something in a little better shape. They guy mentioned he has over 40 classic japanese bikes
              The current garage:
              1978 GS750
              1975 GT750M
              1984 CB700SC
              1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

My friend The Collector has a rule that the bike has to be at least 90% complete and running.
                Because he has found that is the least expensive way to get the bike you want, plus you can ride it.
                He's bought/sold 50-60 bikes in the last few years, plus he's a cheap bastard
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  My friend The Collector has a rule that the bike has to be at least 90% complete and running.
                  Because he has found that is the least expensive way to get the bike you want, plus you can ride it.
                  He's bought/sold 50-60 bikes in the last few years, plus he's a cheap bastard
                  That's a pretty good rule, I've gotten lucky on a few that weren't running and have also been burned on a CB350F that was running, but started smoking after putting some miles on it. You never truly know until you spend some time with it.

Supposedly this GT750 was running when it was taken apart. We all know how that could go
                  The current garage:
                  1978 GS750
                  1975 GT750M
                  1984 CB700SC
                  1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

That GT750 is in BAD shape. No way I'd pay $600 for it.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Here's something at the other end of the condition spectrum.

I have no idea what nice example of these go for typically, but this one certainly looks top shelf.
                      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Hi,Rich here known as red1100 reading about your assumed restoration costs.Ive been doing high point car restorations for decades and now (@ 67yrs) am starting to do motorcycles. Definitely not as difficult or as many heavy parts on a motorcycle.My own M.O. is to thoroughly triage through disassembly a car,put together my best estimate, then add 50%. At the end I find out my numbers are very close. Curious about the GT 750 your talking about. I did a light cosmetic only for a friends 74 750 and just the chrome bill was 1300. Without touching anything else.Id like to see how yours comes out.
                        Last edited by red1100; 07-06-2018, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I wonder how the Titans comare money wise to the GTs, particularly the 750.

There was a Candy Lavender barn find 72 GT 750 for sale locally listed at 5k. Unrestored, but complete.
                          It's no longer on CL.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Are you buying one to keep and ride or resell?

Comment

Neither, just dreaming at the moment.

At some point I hope to own an old Suzuki smoker though.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                              X