Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a 3 phase rectifier/regulator work with a 1 phase stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a 3 phase rectifier/regulator work with a 1 phase stator?

Ive got a question for the electrical gurus out there.

Ive got an old Polaris that uses a single phase stator and a little plastic rectifier/regulator with no cooling fins or anything. The r/r's are known for quitting without any warning and usually at pretty inconvenient times (this weekend, about 2 miles from the cabin in 36 degrees and light rain) and its my 3rd one over the years. I've got a few r/r's Ive collected over the years from ATV's and bikes but they are all 3 Phase, but they have nice cooling fins and should be more reliable.

So to my question, is there any way to reliably convert 3 phase r/r to use with a 1 phase stator? And if so, how?

Thanks!
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Just connect the two single phase stator wires leaving the one open(on r/r).
    thd other way just get s compufire single phase r/r ; they ard all over eBay.

Comment

Thanks Posplayr, I figured you'd know.

These are what they came with https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...e%20Regulators . Maybe 3"x3"x.5"... made of plastic, no heat sinks and as you can see, really inexpensive. I'd sure pay more for reliable one just for reliability. They are a known weak spot on the old Polarises.
      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Working...
      X