Suzuki Cavalcade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki Cavalcade

Has anyone on GSR owned a Cavalcade, or still own one? I've seen a few in my area for sale and they look like comfy cruisers. I did a little research and supposedly they're somewhat rare, so parts are getting difficult to find. For those who've had or still have one, do you like it?
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

GSRick owns one, or did at one point. Maybe send him a PM and inquire about it.

A photo of his from the riding game thread.

Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

A couple of years back I got REALLY close to buying a low mileage Madura, the parts issue kept me from jumping on it. Even my somewhat mainstream gs450t has a one-off parts issue, the brake shoes on the wire wheeled model are a two year only application.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Yes, the Cavalcade is somewhat rare. It was designed to be a competitor to Honda's Goldwing for the touring crowd. During the few years it was produced, most of the testers found it to be better in most areas than the Goldwing. Not sure why it didn't catch on, but it died out and the Goldwing continues, now into its 45th year of production.

Trivial sidenote: Suzuki was having some setbacks when developing the Cavalcade, so they tossed a fairing, saddlebags and trunk on an 1100G to come up with the 1100GK. For some reason, they still seem to be easier to find. Certainly easier to work on.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          ...Certainly easier to work on.
          Indeed. I know a couple of guys who are long time dealership mechanics, the mere mention of "Cavalcade" will bring forth a pretty impressive stream of profanity. They ​hated working on them.
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I have never worked on a Cavalcade, but I detest working on ANY V-4 engine.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Funny how Honda Goldwings have held the mkt. for so long. Kawa. Voyager & Concours, Yammer Venturer & Venturer Royal, Suzuki GK & Cavalcades were all great touring bikes, but never seemed to be even a speck of competition for the Goldwings. Go figure.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I see a two tone brown one around here occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  Kawa. Voyager & Concours, Yammer Venturer & Venturer Royal, Suzuki GK & Cavalcades were all great touring bikes, but never seemed to be even a speck of competition for the Goldwings.
                  It's all about marketing.

Spend some money on advertising a decent product, more people will be aware of it, even though there might be a better product available.

My first "touring" bike was a KZ1300 and it had all the "stuff" added to it. Many years later (after a brief hiatus to raise some kids), I got a ZN1300 Voyager. Enjoyed it immensely, but it was a HEAVY beast. Having ridden a few Goldwings owned by friends, I can see why the Wing was enjoyed more at the time. My Voyager had more power (but was heavier), a better exhaust sound (inline six DOHC vs. boxer four that sounded like a VW Beetle), fuel injection, trip computer, digital dashboard (including a compass) and a few other niceties, but a Wing was a better overall bike. The six-cylinder Voyagers were only made from 1983-1988, there were about 4500 produced.

I attended a few Voyager rallies, and saw a bunch of the 4-cylinder 1200cc Voyagers that were made from 1986 through 2003. There were some minor improvements along the way, but it was otherwise unchanged. A decent bike, did a fine job for the touring crowd, but was not marketed. Over its 18-year span, they sold about 50,000.

At the last rally I attended (2005, in Durango, Colorado), we were offered the opportunity to take a survey that was given to Kawasaki. They were asking for input on a new Voyager, since they had already stopped making the 1200cc fours. They asked what we would change, what we would keep, what we would get rid of and what we would like to add. Our overwhelming response was that they would not follow the crowd and go with a v-twin. Well, they did not listen. The new Voyager is a 1700cc v-twin all gussied up and looks just ike a Harley. I have not followed their sales to see how they are doing, but they lost a bunch of the loyal Voyager buyers of the past. Hopefully they have attracted some new riders.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

I still have mine, but it has been sitting for a few months. it is a royal pain to wok on, the reason it's still sitting. I went out for a ride and I found I had a coolant leak, so I decided to use one of my GSs. Time passed and when I finally had the time, I fired it up to see where the coolant was leaking from and gas started pouring down all over the engine. I shut it off immediately. After removing half the body work, I found out the carbs were leaking pressurized fuel out from the fuel tubes that connect the carbs. looking at the parts fiche these are not available and I can't tell if there are orings on them. I've bought another one for a part bike, but still haven't done anything to it.

With that said, when I didn't have a problem, I loved it. 112 horse and 92 torque, whats not to love. The Cavalcade priced itself out of business. It came stock with options that you had to pay extra for on the other manufacturers touring bikes.

The Cavalcade features a 16 valve DOHC 1360 cc V4 with hydraulic lash adjusters and shaft drive for low maintenance. Many of the standard features on the Cavalcade were considered options on other motorcycles in 1985. The LX and LXE models feature self-cancelling turn signals, automatic rear pneumatic leveling system, rear suspension load pre-tensioner, air-adjustable damping on the front shocks that could be refilled with a standard tire pump connection, electronic cruise control, radio and cassette deck with LCD station display, volume and station selection controls on the handlebars, adjustment knob for the headlight, adjustable passenger floorboards, fore to aft top case adjustment for passenger comfort, adjustable handlebars and adjustable windshield. The radio is in a decorative housing that resembles a standard motorcycle fuel tank. The radio has an automatic volume control that raises and lowers the radio volume based on the speed of the motorcycle. The Cavalcade fuel tank is located under the driver's seat but is filled from the top of the decorative tank. A standard automobile-type oil filter is located midline of the underside of the chassis between the exhaust pipes. The engine is liquid cooled with a thermostatically-controlled electric fan. The radio antenna could be unscrewed and lowered so as not to interfere with the positioning of the weather cover, which was standard with all models.
                    There are two key-locked storage boxes for the driver on either side of the console. There are two storage boxes for the passenger on the top of each side case. The passenger backrest has arm rests. The weather cover has a steel cable running along the lower edge with eye grommets for a padlock or wire-cable lock. The top case has an interior light and vanity mirror. The top case is large enough to accept a full face helmet. Two helmet locks that use the ignition key are just below the top case and above the license plate. Soft, form-fitted bags came standard for the side cases and the top case. The console features a LCD display that has the gear position indicator as well as warnings for low battery water and "kickstand down." The bike had a switch linked to the kickstand that would kill the engine if the bike were put in gear with the kickstand in the down position. There are vents near the ignition key that allow air to be directed towards the driver's face and doors on both sides of the fairing that can be opened to allow engine heat to be directed toward the driver's legs. The passenger had controls to adjust the radio volume and station selection. The passenger seat has a 3-way adjustable passenger seat on both models. LXE models were equipped with cornering lights, air adjustable driver's seat, coin-holder and map case in the driver's storage boxes, leg wind deflectors and driver/passenger intercom jacks. There was a CB radio option. A driver backrest and passenger headrest were options. They are also equipped with an electrical accessory plug and a 500 watt alternator.
                    GSRick
                    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

GSRick, your comments directly answered one of my biggest questions; is it a pain to work on? Sounds like it is, which I suspected since it's a V4 and has a lot of body pieces. And to your comment regarding the fuel tubes for the carbs, I'm sure those aren't the only parts that are unavailable these days. I guess if a person really wanted to buy one, they'd be better off buying one in perfect condition that's been cared for and ridden enough to keep all the soft parts soft. There are a hand full of them for sale in my area, most have asking prices around $1,300 but I'm sure each one needs a fair amount of work to be worthy of any extended road trip. There is one however that looks to be in very good shape, second owner, but he want's over 4k for it. Maybe it's worth it??? Not to me. But like previously mentioned, I can't get over the fact that they're so well optioned for what they are. The 4k bike for sale probably has most if not all available options, and is blue, not brown like the rest of them. It looks really incredible in the pictures. And it might be reliable enough to ride for a while. But undoubtedly it will eventually need some work and I fear it would end up being a part or two that are unavailable. If a person has enough money and time, a solution is sure to be had. But is it worth it? The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of sticking with the GS bikes. I've got enough projects already anyways.
                      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

I worked at a Suzuki/Honda dealer in the eighties, one of the reasons why i now have a wing....
                        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

$4k is awfully steep! I've looked at the Kawasaki Concours as a touring bike, plenty around, lots of parts and pretty affordable to buy a decent one.
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I really like the 'Cade, and perhaps that's why I'm slowly buying one, one bit at a time.

(the experiment to fit a 15" road tyre to the back of the 850 involves some jiggery-pokery with 'Cade rear bits)

Actually, I quite fancy getting the engine and frame in the form of a later Zuk cruiser and simply 'Cading it up with a Jammer.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Another 'Cade just like the first one I found showed up forsale and he's only asking $1800. It's got more options than the previous I mentioned, is the color I desire, and in the pictures looks to be very well cared for and clean. Also has fewer miles than the previous. Man I want to get it but I don't have the space. A big cruiser like that would make my 52 mile commute much more pleasurable. My GS850L does it OK but I wish it had a bigger tank. I also get blown around on it when keeping up with interstate traffic. Someday I'll get a 'Cade or a similar bike. I really should be looking for a GS1100GK to keep all my bikes in the "GS" family.

Comment

Working...
                              X