Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helicoil for oil drain bolt on a 1983 GS450E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helicoil for oil drain bolt on a 1983 GS450E?

My oil drain threads are stripped! What Helicoil and tap should I use for the factory bolt?

I would not use a Heli-Coil for the drain plug. You can go to your favorite auto parts store and get an oversize plug. I think it's an M14x1.25, but measure to be sure. The oversize plugs come in a +1 size or a +2 size. If your stripped plug (likely the oil pan, not the plug) still has a little "bite" to it, get the +1. If you can keep spinning it with your fingers, get the +2.

Oh, and if you DID use a Heli-Coil, it usually comes with its own special tap. It's a size that is not available anywhere else.
    Last edited by phydeauxmutt; 04-25-2022, 11:04 PM.

Comment

How does the oversize plug work? Do you just torque it in there without tapping anything and call it a day?

Also, is there a reference for the torque settings I should be using throughout this bike? The Haynes manual is severely lacking this stuff

Comment

I'm having a hard time finding an oversize M14-1.25 bolt. Got a link to something I can buy by chance?

Comment

Oh you know what? A while back, I had a car where a spark plug came loose and stripped its own threads, and I still have the kit. The thread size is M14-1.25! I already have all the tools and extra inserts from this kit. I think I might go ahead and just use this kit one more time. It'll have a nice steel thread that shouldn't give me issues or need a special bolt.

Comment

Pretty hard not to find it with a google search to be honest.....

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Synthead View Post
              I'm having a hard time finding an oversize M14-1.25 bolt. Got a link to something I can buy by chance?
              https://www.autozone.com/external-en...ize+drain+plug

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...0051&langId=-1

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oversize+..._ts-doa-p_1_19

The list goes on.

And on.

Check your current bolt with a thread gauge. It MIGHT be M14-1.50.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-65217-.../dp/B000COCX0E

Pretty hard not to find it with a google search to be honest.....

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

This is m14-1.5, not M14-1.25

• That's 1/2"-20
                • There are no M14-1.25 bolts in that list
                • There are no M14-1.25 bolts in that list, either
                • Amazon has a M14-1.25, but it isn't oversize
                It is M14-1.25.
                Last edited by Synthead; 04-26-2022, 09:18 PM.

Comment

It cuts new threads so I don't think it matters if it's 1.25 or 1.5.... There are a bunch of threads on it here for people that have had success. Do some searching.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Having had to do this job myself, may I strongly suggest removing the oil pan and being very careful to ensure that the resulting thread is fully perpendicular to the pan surface. I mistakenly had the angle slightly off and wound up having to machine out the crap threads, and insert an...insert, threaded and properly perpendicular.

Turning a drill press by hand will work just fine.
                    Last edited by free99; 05-01-2022, 08:19 PM. Reason: Added actual solution
                    1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
                    1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

Comment

I ended up using extra parts from my spark plug thread repair kit I bought a while back. It turned out great! I used high-temp RTV sealant on the threads to ensure that it wouldn't leak. Not that the crush washer wouldn't seal that, anyway.

Comment

Doesn't your thread repair keep you from draining the last pint or so of dirty oil because the thread insert sticks up INTO the pan? Since you took off the pan anyways, could you have inserted the insert from the inside out so the protruding threads would be outside the pan and the inside would be flush?

Comment

Working...
                        X