Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[solved] How do I know which valve shims to order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] How do I know which valve shims to order?

I'm getting ready to adjust my valves on a 1983 Suzuki GS450E. I've done some research and found the "stick a wire tie in the valve" trick (good one!), and am confident about measuring and swapping out some shims. However, I thought I would ask: how do I know which shims to order? Do I check the clearances first and order a handful depending on the gap I find? How would I know what size shims to order from the gap?

Also, just a question on the side: are the paper gaskets supposed to go on dry, or should I use a sealer?
    Last edited by Synthead; 04-25-2022, 05:23 AM.

For the shims you must measure your clearances , remove the shim and note it's size and then calculate the new shim size needed to give the correct gap.

For example -
    If your clearance needs to be 0.10mm and your gap is 0.05mm then the new shim needs to be 0.05mm thinner.
    If your old shim is 255 then you would need a 250 etc.

Shims can also become dished towards the center in use so measure them in the center with a micrometer rather than a vernier to get the most accurate reading.

For paper gaskets it is good practice to just lightly grease both sides.
    This promotes even settlement, reduces the chance of oil wicking and aids future ease of removal and possible re-use.
    Do not use sealer.
    Last edited by zed1015; 04-25-2022, 06:24 AM.
    Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
    VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

This is awesome. Thank you so much for the advice!

Comment

Working...
      X