Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GSX250 gearbox locked up

Hello!
    I have had a once running well GSX250, it has been kept at the back of my garage whilst I worked on other projects but I dragged it out the other day only to find it was locked up?

I can turn over the crank with a ratchet and it is lovely and free, I pulled the starter and it spins well, in neutral the rear spins easily.

I can depress the clutch lever, but could it be that the clutch has seized together?

TIA
    Sean

Not completely understanding . After sitting for a while it's very possible the clutch has stuck. Put it in 1st gear, hold or tie the clutch lever ALL THE WAY IN, sit on the seat, then rock (roll) it back & forth till wheel turns without eng. turning...Oh yeah two more things...Welcome & good luck.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Just a guess, but I think you're on the right track w/ clutch plates stuck together. If bike was on the side stand, those plates have been dry since you parked it. If the bike starts in neutral, see if you can get it into first gear. Bike is going to lurch, so keep feet an hands on brakes, and get ready, nothing in front of the bike. This would be better on the center stand, keep brakes compressed anyway, just to be safe. It may require more that just an oil change if they're really stuck. You could pull the clutch plates, inspect, oil, replace if necessary,
      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-06-2022, 12:14 PM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

yes+1 per above. NOT FATAL very common when bikes with wet clutches sit too long- clutch plates get "glued"* together with a residue of oil .

symptom: Engine stalls when trying to take off in gear. somehow you have to break the "glue" and you have to get some oil up between the plates...several methods.

Comment

Working...
        X