No announcement yet.

GS450 Issue fitting New Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, it's not easy to lock the rear but it's good enough to hold the bike on a hill etc. Of course it's worth going over all of it, even to painting the bits that rust-that brake-plate strut and the swing-arm itself (plus the insides of the steel fenders!) are places unseen that get beat by the road dirt and rust quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by David450 View Post
      Thanks
      Yes I have looked at the 400 and they are exactly the same to look at with the exception of the motor. Did the 8 valve head keep the performance the same as the 450 4 valve?
      I'm in the UK and just fitted Avon road rider2 tyres, they are great. I would recommend them if you can get hold of them.
      When I bought the bike it had been sitting along time so I have been slowly replacing rubber seals as and when it develops a new leak.
      It had pod filters but the jetting was standard so I installed a stock airbox, this improved the running but I still had a flat spot when rolling on the throttle at around 4000rpm. I must have spent 3 years off and on messing around with the carb settings but making very little progress.
      Then a cheap 450L parts bike came on the market, it had carbs and a stock exhaust so I grabbed it. The exhausts needed a hanger plate making up, the S fixes above and the L fixes below.
      Long storey short the flat spot has gone I was gobsmacked. I shouldn't have been really there is a stamp on the exhaust stating that it has been designed specifically for the bike and should not be tampered with. Just goes to show those 1980's Japanese engineers knew what they were doing.
      Its just a looks thing but the originals follow the shape of the motor and fit in a lot more snugly than the Motad 2 into 1 that was on it. Pic with new exhaust below.
      When I bought it the screen wasn't on it, I was loaded up and just about to leave when the owner said "oh by the way there is a goofy looking screen but I doubt you will want it" lucky or what?

20220626_124841.jpg
      I Like your 'S' model !!
      I have a 1981' GS450E silver with blue stripes.
      I purchased it in very poor cosmetic condition,missing parts.. although the fuel tank and tail section are very nice; it's slowly coming together quite well.
      The bike was purchased from a man who purchased it at a charity auction in the Bay Area which has a heavy salt-air environment;the orig. owner had it there 43 years and it has lots of rust.
      I want to spray some 2K clear coat on the front fender which I fully prepped/painted;I park it w/ a light cover in my parking space at my apartment building and the weather has been cold and stormy all Winter/Spring so far here and as soon as it warms-up I will finish it.
      Last edited by grcamna2; 03-30-2024, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X