Replaced parts over winter now bike won’t start and rolls in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced parts over winter now bike won’t start and rolls in gear

Hi over the winter I replaced my clutch lever front brake lever cleaned the carbs new rubbers air filter and gas line as well as added an inline fuel filter. I have the hardest time starting it and if press ignition button it’ll try to crank without pulling in clutch h lever. I’ve adjusted cable to manual specs and bench synced the carbs since I can’t get it started to hook up to manometer. I’m stuck on what to do as I don’t have a trailer to get to shop but feel it should be fixable on my end since before I winterized it and took the clutch off for cleaning and replacing rubbers, it ran fine besides a leaky petcock which I also replaced with.the new gas lines. Any help is extremely appreciated especially as today in Jersey it is 70 degrees!

OOhhh, Monday morning quarterbacking, just fix the parts that need fix'in and not the parts that aren't broke. Not much info, Have you set the petcock to PRI to get the carbs full? be sure not to leave it there. have you tried a shot of starting fluid? The cranking without clutch pulled in, the clutch switch, under the lever should only make contact when lever is pulled in, yours seems to be making contact all the time. Check the manual to see if instructions. If you remove that switch, beware of the tiny parts, especially the almost invisible little spring... Good luck. Also we don't know what kind of bike you're working on, but for these problems, most all GS's will be the same, unless it's an "80" model, they have a different petcock.
    Last edited by rphillips; 04-09-2024, 01:40 PM.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      OOhhh, Monday morning quarterbacking, just fix the parts that need fix'in and not the parts that aren't broke. Not much info, Have you set the petcock to PRI to get the carbs full? be sure not to leave it there. have you tried a shot of starting fluid? The cranking without clutch pulled in, the clutch switch, under the lever should only make contact when lever is pulled in, yours seems to be making contact all the time. Check the manual to see if instructions. If you remove that switch, beware of the tiny parts, especially the almost invisible little spring... Good luck. Also we don't know what kind of bike you're working on, but for these problems, most all GS's will be the same, unless it's an "80" model, they have a different petcock.
      You must be refering to the J.C. spring. It goes boing and you shut up to see if you can hear it land?

That spring?

Current:
      1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
      1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
      1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
      1998 Chevy C2500
      1999 Rav4

Comment

As been said before turn the petcock to prime but don’t leave it on prime very long see if it starts if not try a shot of starter fluid/ sniffer it it runs after the sniffer then it looks like a fuel problem. Ime not saying that the in-line filter is causing this problem but they generally do not pass enough fuel through when motoring, have you checked for a spark at the spark plugs?
        just wondering if there is a problem with the clutch lever switch
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

definitely should have refrained from aint broke don't fix but wanted new levers ad had to replace foot brake switch anyway. my bad it is a '80 450L clutch worked fine before winterizing and changing the levers. before I bench synced the carbs it started fine but revved real high being that they were out of balance but the amazon manometer not very up to bar so took carbs off again and just bench synced them. finally warm air in north jersey so wanted to go for ride but can't figure out how whats goin on with clutch. is there a switch under that lever like how the front brake lever was? also noticed my turn signals no longer flash after bolting backup they just stay on ifihit the left or right toggle. bout to go out and see if jumping it in gear will unstick the clutch as I am assuming that could be it, then ill try starter fluid. I have manual and did clutch adjustment from case to adjuster to lever all in spec which is why my mind is blowing. As far as the blinkers is there a way to test the flasher relay? thanks for all help its extremely appreciated just tired of being in cage on 70 degree days seeing all bikes go by ph and yes both plugs renew as well and both get nice spark

Comment

Verify spark, fuel and that the kill switch is not on. The blinkers indicate that some wiring has been disturbed, check everything that you did again. The filter should not be a problem unless one of the tiny ones, a 450 doesn’t flow that much gas.

V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I also put the multimeter to the flasher relay and wasn't getting a reading as far as the blinkers. go could it be the relay? I will go through the wiring tomorrow I did add aux lights but they are hooked directly up to battery and have separate on/off switch so dont drain on battery unless I have them on. Got nice fat spark from both sides. noticed another issues I adjusted the clutch cable to manual specs after replacing levers but cannot get it to engage or disengage it rolls with some drag when off in gear even with clutch lever pulled in or not pulled in. rolls in neutral freely as usual.
              Also do I take the air filter out and spray the starting fluid in that way? The inline filter is clear so I can see gas going through it when I primed it.
              Last edited by Finesse150; 04-22-2024, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X