+wire from battery that branches off to starter relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+wire from battery that branches off to starter relay

Hey all so I can’t find any shops in North Jersey who are less than a month out with work or will work on a 1980 GS450L. Over the winter I tried doing routine maintenance; cleaned carbs, replaced rubbers, new air filter. She started right up but idled extremely high due to fact carb had to be synced was my assumption. I took the battery out and bench synced them put battery back in but forgot to reconnect the red+ wire that branches off to the starter relay and hit the starter button causing the wire to start smoking and melted. I know idiot. I wrapped it in electrical tape and rehooked it to the relay but now all I am getting is a click when I hit the start button. I am hoping all I have to replace is the positive wire leads. If anyone has had this happen or has an idea about what I am talking about or has any advice would be much appreciated. This is my second day off with 80+ degree weather and she’s sitting in the garage:’( I hope this is the problem as should be an easy fix any and every advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you. I have the manual and the wire diagram looks like that’s exactly the wire that caught on fire forgetting to hook it back up but I also thought maybe it was the rectifier but based on what I am looking at with the wire diagram the red+ battery wire branches off the battery to the fuse(not cracked) and the starter relay which is why I assume all I get is a click sound where before it would attempt to turn over and even start.

Test the DC voltage at each end of the suspect wire. You'll have whatever your battery voltage is at the end connected to you battery. You should have nearly the same at the end connected to the starter solenoid lug. It's a thick wire and a short run. If the voltage is much lower at he solenoid end of the wire, replace the wire. It's easy to build a new wire with round terminal at each end with a coulpla $'s worth of stuff from the hardware store, and even a dollar store crimp tool.

Hopefully, that's the only wire that let the smoke out, because this stuff is getting harder to find these days:
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

When I was testing the wires with the voltmeter the starter relay would click so hard. That means the relay is in good condition right? Does anyone know of a way to check the relay also my directionals light up and stay lit only going off if switch is in the middle or on the other side also just steady on no blinking whatsoever. Even harder because shops are backed up this time of the year and getting parts for an ‘80 aren’t the easiest but I’ve been able to find them just know nothing about electrical

Comment

Check the voltage on the battery side of the relay, then the output side while pushing the starter button. The voltage readings should be close
        If your directionals don't blink, it's most often a burned out bulb. Then, the flasher, followed by a bad ground
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

There’s no red wire that connects to starter solenoid. The positive battery terminal has a big red wire that connects to solenoid and little red wire that connects to the 15 amp fuse…this feeds the key switch, turns on ignition and powers the starter button. The solenoid is triggered by a little green/yellow ?? wire from starter button causing the click.
          without power to the fuse, etc…there’s no click…double-check all these connections.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

tested them and the relay is clicking. I'm going to take starter out right now and see if it'd spinning when I give it some juice

Comment

Still trying to figure out how to post pics from my iPhone downloaded Flickr. It can’t figure out how to get them uploaded so I just copied the link. The red wire on bottom caused the relay to click the red and green wire looks like it may have came unsoldered? Idk can’t even find a shop that will help with a bike this old unless it’s a Harley lol
              Last edited by Finesse150; 06-05-2024, 06:55 PM. Reason: Auto correct

Comment

tested them and the relay is clicking. I'm going to take starter out right now and see if it'd spinning when I give it some juice

Comment

Follow the link in my signature re:Posting Pics. Go to post #6 in that thread.
                  Starter relay solenoid? by Michael Wall, on Flickr
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                  X