Biggest rear for the 450E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Ya can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.
    Well, Ed, we have done what we can.

All we can do now is to sit back and see if he survives the too-large tire long enough to post his results.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Besides rubbing on the swingarm or the fenders, what else could go wrong with a larger sized tire? I think I know the answer but just looking for confirmation.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Well, Ed, we have done what we can.

All we can do now is to sit back and see if he survives the too-large tire long enough to post his results.

Steve,
        He's not going to crash out from going over sized on a tire by one or two sizes. Definitely a matter of looks over performance though, although bulging sidewalls are are more dorky than a skinny tire to me.
        Last edited by Nessism; 12-01-2010, 10:10 AM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Besides rubbing on the swingarm or the fenders, what else could go wrong with a larger sized tire? I think I know the answer but just looking for confirmation.
          The wheel rim is too narrow for the tire,pinching the bead and causing the sidewalls to distort and the tread to be more curved than designed. So, you actually end up with less tread on the road (due to the distorted curvature) and you handling gets messed up (back tire tries to lean faster than the front)

So, you can spoon in whatever fits in the physical space, but it just makes things worse instead of better.

That's why the wider rim was suggested
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Tech7 View Post
            My '80 450E has a 120/90-18 Kenda Challenger (was on it when I bought it) . That's about all I think will fit. It's very close to the swingarm.
            That is a nice looking bike, Tech. Show us more please.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I mounted a 130/80/18 on my 2.15" rear and it was WAY pinched. Looks kinda funny, but its almost worn out now. Im not sure what it does to handling, it was better than my old rubber.
              I have a 3.5" 1150 rear wheel for it now that I plan to mount a 150/70/17 on.
              my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                That is a nice looking bike, Tech. Show us more please.
                Thanks again. See my post here in the twins section about my renovation. Theres a couple of pics on my profile. Is that a Catherham?
                Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2010, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X