No announcement yet.

250cc flat spotting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tap doesn't have a prime on it, the vac hose and nozzle are spotless, i checked them when i had the carbs out... its really bugging me.. lol

Comment

OK, Make a temporary fuel "tank" from a bottle straight into the carbs, rev the sh1t out of it and see what happens, if nothing is wrong its probably your fuel tap.

Comment

will have to keep it at a constant rpm for a while as the bike revs fine at stand still, i'm trying to borrow a petcock so i can test it on the road as a new one is outta budget at the moment... something for me to do tomorrow i spose

Comment

Quick one... which manual did you set the float height from? I will never ever trust a Haynes spec again after stripping a thread in my crankcase because they put the torque spec as twice what is should be.

Go by the Suzuki manual or a Clymer if you can find one.

I hope you get it sorted soon so you can enjoy the ride!
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

This time i took it from the Suzuki one, But it is extremely close to just having the floats rest on the body of the carb.

I have to take it for a 40min ride this morning so i'm going to check afew things before i head out to see if i can isolate the problem... coz its ****ting me now.. lol

I missed a ride 2 weeks ago with a Suzuki Katana group because of this prob, I JUST WANNA RIDE!!! lol

Comment

Got around 2km from home this morning and the clutch started to slip Badly, had to nurse it home and borrow a car.

I've adjusted it as it says to in my book but its still not right, Revving way to high compared to actual road speed.....

* puts his hands in the air* I GIVE UP!!!

Comment

lol just found this thread josh, dont give up

My very first road bike was one of these and i remember going through some testing times.
                Persistance and you will win
                The clutch lever needs some freeplay at the bar (some slack in the cable)

If you have the wrong oil in your bike it can make your clutch slip also
                ( you cannot use friction modified oil)

sounds like crap in the tank

The vaccume control on the petcock works on the natural suction created by the engine running
                The same suction sucks air through your air filter
                sounds like you might be right about the thing starving itself of fuel
                if you havent already, take the tank off the bike, give it a good shake and tip all of the fuel into a bucket then pour it back into the tank
                If there is red or black rusty residue in the bucket .....

good luck

Comment

Hey, i tipped the tank out today and did get some black stuff in the bottom of the fuel drum which i made sure did not make its way back into the tank.

I cleaned the Petcock out too.

I have just given the bike a service afew weeks ago using Gulf Western Oil which is Australian Made,they recommend it for my bike but now i'm thinking maybe not.
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-07-2010, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Gulf Western oil? Never heard of it! Mind you I'm no oil expert... but bugger on the clutch slippage, that won't help at all!

I've always used Shell Advance in my 450 and I'm pretty sure it was SX I used to use, but that was too long ago to remember.

When I got oil this time around I got SX4 which is a 15W-50 and still mineral oil but with a synthetic additive. Apparently it's the right stuff but of course I'm in no position to try it at the moment

sigpic

Comment

Yeah i've gotten in touch with gulf western last night so hopefully should hear back from them today. Pain in the bum!!!!

Comment

I reckon! The last thing you want when trying to resolve an issue is for a new one to crop up...

sigpic

Comment

The thing is the Bike sounds REALLY good after i cleaned the tank and the petcock out, the clutch has only been playing up since the oil change, infact the whole thing has come about since the oil change, but i cant blame the oil for the carb probs.

Going to try some Castrol Active 4T 15w 15 and see how that goes... Problem is i have 4L left of the Gulf Western........

Comment

Ok, the oil is fine, the clutch was abit out, i followed my haynes manual which explained it abit better and the clutch is now fine.

However, the bike is still having problems. I took it up the same road and it went well until it bogged down again, although it was on a different part of the road. It seems to be doing it more so under load in higher gears. I shut it down and tried to restart it and it sounded like it was flooding then ran clear...

Originally it was having the running problems at exactly the same point in the road every time, now its abit further along the road.... am i making sense? lol

what adjustments do you think i should make? Pilot in pilot in or out or burning it is also an option.... lol

Comment

You know, I'm starting to think maybe crud in the tank blocking the fuel tap?

I just remembered many years ago I had something along the lines of this in my first car.

I left my fuel cap on the roof and drove off, so as a temporary measure my dad stuck a plastic bag with a rubber band around it over the filler hole until I could get a replacement cap, but he didn't put a small hole in it.

Anyway, it got sucked into the tank and every time I accelerated it would suck the bag against the fuel pipe, but backing off let it float again, had to take the sender unit off and fish it out with a straightened coat hanger.

sigpic

Comment

I've already cleaned the tank and fuel tap out though, i've checked the cap too and its venting correctly, i would really like to get my hands on a fuel tap with a prime system on it to see if running it on prime has any effect on it, i would try to bypass the tap by running fuel directly into the carbies from a bottle etc but they bike wont play up unless its got abit of load on it, i might try and richen the mixture and see what happens.. can't hurt.
                                Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2010, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X