Removing Old Valve Stem Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete View Post
    Thanks for all the tips and advice guys.

After bending up a couple of flat head screw drivers but not being able to get good enough purchase or leverage to use them to good effect, a pair of long nose pliers, perseverence, and twisting and pulling did the trick nicely:

Now I can get to lapping and getting the head back together again

wicked compendium of pcitures
    I had no idea what you were up agains man they are in a bad spot
    there must be a special tool for facilitationg removal.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
      wicked compendium of pcitures
      I had no idea what you were up agains man they are in a bad spot
      there must be a special tool for facilitationg removal.
      Cheers, and yeah I thought so too, but from the replies here and what I've seen around Google, it looks like just use what you can to get them out... must be those tiny Japanese fingers at play...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

bet yah wish yah had this.

perhaps its too large a diamtere to work on bike seals though.

Comment

Awww man you guys get all the cool tools!

They look like they'd fit perfectly and be a dream... so much better than a pair of pliers!

But thanks for finding them, will hopefully help the next poor sucker stuck trying to get them out...

sigpic

Comment

Needlenose pliers, thats what i used. I just stuck the jaw in, gripped and twisted like a croc doing a deathroll. Booya, they came off!

Comment

Yup, that was the winning combination for me too

sigpic

Comment

I did a proper search and revived this old thread looking for some help removing the stem seals.
                The first 6 put up a terrible fight but on the last two I decided to use the old Bunsen burner torch method and wow, they gave up really quick. I wished afterward that I had used that trick soon after the 1st or 2nd one.

Now for a question: The FSM shows an o-ring on the valve guide which would be under the oil seal (I believe), and I do not see that on any of the parts fiches that I am looking at. I am guessing that it also needs to be replaced when replacing the oil seals, right?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I just didn't want to put it back together if these little O-rings also need replacing.

Thanks.
                Last edited by alke46; 01-18-2018, 03:03 PM.
                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

There is no O-ring. Just install the seal on top of the guide and make sure it's pushed down all the way.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

well, that was quick. Thanks Ed. But it sure does look like there is something on the guide. Am I seeing something that is just raised for the seal to go over?
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Could it be a cir-clip to prevent the guide from dropping into the combustion chamber?
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                        Could it be a cir-clip to prevent the guide from dropping into the combustion chamber?
                        Hey Norm, how you doing? Looking down into the bore, I can see a partial guide ring at the bottom of the bore. It looks like that is something that could prevent the guide from dropping into the chamber.
                        I'm looking in the FSM page 7-11 and it is showing a picture of the guide with the note: during reassembly, use replacement subassemblies, each consisting of guide ring (1) oil seal (2) and valve guide(3). That picture is what was throwing me off, thinking that the guide ring was a replaceable item.
                        I understand it would be replaceable only if replacing the guide, which I am not doing.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Be sure the groove on the guide is free of any debris from the old seal too. I rub a dab of oil on the top of the guides to help the new one slide on. Once you push it on, twist it around and then try lifting it off to see that it has seated in the guide groove.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            Be sure the groove on the guide is free of any debris from the old seal too. I rub a dab of oil on the top of the guides to help the new one slide on. Once you push it on, twist it around and then try lifting it off to see that it has seated in the guide groove.
                            That's what I needed to know. Thanks Chuck. There must be some residual rubber from the oil seal remaining in the groove and I thought it was an o-ring. Now I can use a pick and clean that groove.
                            Also Chuck, I was thinking of you yesterday when I used the propane torch to free up the last two seals. I kept telling myself: remember, Chuck says fire is your friend.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

I use 00 grade steel wool soaked in carb cleaner to clean the grooves. A pick may actually scar it. I say "may" as i have never used a pick for fear of doping exactly that. Then a good shot of air to blow the well free of debris.

And yes fire is a friend..provided you dont get too carried away...HA HA
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X