No announcement yet.

450l with a knock of some kind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well got my 450 put back together and it is running... painted it high temp black. i left the side covers aluminium almost polished... i will post some pics and a new video of it running...

Comment

Nice to hear your having sucess.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Good stuff! Lookin' forward to those pic's
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hmm,

I posted this a while ago.

I was under the impression that a crank that spun a rod bearing would not be trust worthy.

I'm very interested in how its going to work out

What normally causes this ?

I mean starting the bike and reving the Pi$$ out out of it would do it,

or overheating it

or very old and contaminated oil

or clogged oil passage,,,, but the bearing is after the oil filter
          Stephen.
          1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
          GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
            Hmm,

I posted this a while ago.

I was under the impression that a crank that spun a rod bearing would not be trust worthy.

I'm very interested in how its going to work out

What normally causes this ?

I mean starting the bike and reving the Pi$$ out out of it would do it,

or overheating it

or very old and contaminated oil

or clogged oil passage,,,, but the bearing is after the oil filter
            i am not sure what caused it on this bike, cause i bought it with out hearing it run and it didnt have any oil in the case when i checked ... i was told by the p.o. that the rr was bad, but that was not the case... the right side plug was dead and the carbs were needing a good cleaning... only after new oil and plugs and cleaning the carbs did i notice the knock, and then it was only after it warmed up it could be heard... i am thinking maybe (i dont really know just a guess) that a combination of over revving and only running on one side caused the bearing to fail... or maybe the p.o. started it with out oil???
            i checked all the oil passages for blockage but they were open and the pump was ok (so say the dealership) so i am hoping all will be fine... right now it sounds good so hopefully it will be fine... i have my fingers crossed...

Comment

here is a short video of my 450 running again... it is a little dirty cause i had to take it for a spin and my yard is a mud hole... it idles a little odd i think its because i am still waiting on my air filter right now i just have a t-shirt in the airbox...

Comment

Hey it sounds great

What did you do to clean up the connecting rod and crank journal?
                Stephen.
                1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                GS twin wiki

Comment

That does sound good!
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                    Hey it sounds great

What did you do to clean up the connecting rod and crank journal?
                    i took it to a friend that has a machine shop and he polished it up for me... there wasnt any big grooves or gouges in either and it measured the same as the right side. so i have my fingers crossed that all will be good for a long time... wish i would have got pic's of it tore down, but my wife took the camera and went to the mother -in-laws while it was...

Comment

Working...
                    X