No announcement yet.

gs 500 into a 450 frame????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, if you check my albums out iv'e posted some more pics of the headers on there, please excuse the welding on them as i tack them in position at home with a M.M.A. set then take them to where i have access to a T.I.G. welder to make a nicer job of them as the MMA set tends to blow holes in the pipe.
    Eventually im going to fab some more using larger diameter pipe as i think these are now restricting the 500 engine slightly, All the best Nige.

Comment

Mate that looks great, you've done well to get those pipes routed like that, doesn't look like they're too tight a radius to affect it either.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

BIGYAM,

Good on you for finding a solution to the 500 engine in a 450 frame delemia. Many of us Pint'ers have wondered about what could be done. Are the pipes made from stainless? Once the final welds were done they look real good. I understand about blowing holes through the steel with the wrong type of welder. I stepped up from a stick welder to a MIG about 15 years ago, and what a difference. I'm still just a carpenter who melts steel, compared to a real welder. Tastefully done bike you have there and good choice on the "Fast Blue" color.

One of the things I like about this forum is chating and see bikes from all over the world and I understand about privacy concerns, but can give us a general idea where you are? Yorkshire? Cheers!

Charlie G
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Hi all, thanks once again for all your kind comments,
          Yes the pipes are stainless and the welds are not as neat as i would have liked, being a tig welder by trade, but trying to weld over the stick welds is tricky even after grinding them out, throw into the equation a few gaps and carbon soot on the inside of the pipes and it gets a little trickier , But i suppose they've not turned out bad.
          As for area i live in I,m Derbyshire born and bred But now live just over the border in Nottinghamshire( Robin Hood country)
          I made the pipes out of a set of headers which i got off of e-bay brand new from a company called Motad. Every now and then they sell off discontinued stock , i got four brand new header pipes for about £30 Bargain they were "black chrome" but it polished off ok with some emery cloth and the old polishing wheel. the beauty of this is you've got plenty of bends and straight bits to play with. as opposed to buying each individual bend if you mess up you got to buy another, Cheers Nige

Comment

Working...
          X